Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Upload Improvement?

This is a discussion on Upload Improvement? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, I tried posting this on the Sky forums awhile back but didn't get a response so I'll try here ...

ItsTehShadow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Upload Improvement?

Hello,

I tried posting this on the Sky forums awhile back but didn't get a response so I'll try here

Basically our current internet isn't what I would call good, but its the best we can get in our area on ADSL. However I'm trying to see if we can have our upload improved a bit but don't understand all the stats enough to say. These are currently:

Connection speed D=4576 U=861 (Says 861 but its actually only 600)
      Line att D=56.0db U =33.7db
      Noise margin D=6.9db U=12.1 db

One thing I do know though is that a higher noise margin will affect speeds, but I don't know why the upload one is so much higher than download. We are a fair distance from the exchange hence the Line Att aswell .

Does anyone here, who understands all this think we could have any form of improvement?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Upload Improvement?

Have you had DLM retraining run recently? This will usually increase your upstream as well as your downstream. For some reason the upstream margin is always a bit higher than the downstream. I think this may be due to the upstream using the highest part of the frequency available which may be more susceptible to noise than the lower frequencies.

If you haven't had DLM run recently it may pay to ask Sky if they will run DLM retraining on your line.

Incidentally if your upstream is syncing a 861, it will be set to 864, but you will only achieve about 85% of this on actual upload.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

ItsTehShadow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I don't believe that has been running, but to be honest I wouldn't know as I don't really know what it is apart from just reading into it. If its something we have to run then no I haven't ran anything recently.

Be nice to get that 85% at least, the difference between 600 and 700 kbps might make a difference

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have a look at the broadband details on your MySky page, it may tell you there whether DLM has been run recently.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.