Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Like Tree1Likes

Sky HUB SR101 & Signal Box

This is a discussion on Sky HUB SR101 & Signal Box within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by speedyrite That was my first thought. In fact, Three UK recommends using wifi for data connection on ...

Binary is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky HUB SR101 & Signal Box

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      That was my first thought. In fact, Three UK recommends using wifi for data connection on smartphones & tablets (simply using the femtocell for the voice and sms services). But I think there seem to be two scenarios:

1. Some people who cannot get the femtocell to work at all.
      2. Some people who can get the femtocell to work for voice & sms services, but cannot get the femtocell to work for a data connection.

My guess (and it's just a guess!) is that those people who fall into category 2 above might have a faster 3G service than their home broadband connection and so would prefer to use a data connection via the femtocell.

For the record, I received a femtocell on Tuesday from Three (3UK) - it's their "Home Signal" box made by NEC. All working fine so far via SR101 on Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro.
      The 3G speeds going via the Femtocell will always be lower that your HBB, the reasons for not using WiFi would be:

1: iPhone Visual Voicemail needs to use the 3G network
      2: Some services need your mobile number to broadcast and this can only be done on the 3G network
      3: Some phones don't have WiFi

I have been reading up on this and it could be the packets form the femtocell marked as "voice traffic" and should be prioritised but the SR101 QoS for Anytime/On Demand could be interfering. Mien for example will allow very very slow throughput down but fine 800kbps up
      Bugatti Veyron - One of the greatest engineering projects ever!

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMDRO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Huawei HG612
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Binary View Post
      The 3G speeds going via the Femtocell will always be lower that your HBB, the reasons for not using WiFi would be:

1: iPhone Visual Voicemail needs to use the 3G network
      2: Some services need your mobile number to broadcast and this can only be done on the 3G network
      3: Some phones don't have WiFi
      Yes, I expect there are many other valid reasons too.

I think the main point I was trying to make though was that, from reading through the experiences of other people, it wasn't clear exactly which of the two scenarios that I outlined in my previous post were applicable.

How many people cannot get the femtocell to work at all?
      How many people can get the femtocell to work for voice & sms services, but cannot get the femtocell to work for a data connection?

So, are there really two problems? Or is it just one problem (the latter scenario)?
      If there really are two problems, are there different root causes? Or is there a common root cause?

It's difficult to do any systematic analysis without clear & accurate reporting of the experienced problem(s)! Maybe a poll is needed.

Over on the Sky Help Forum, Scubbie & I have flagged up the issue with Sky via the private channel that we have access to, in an attempt to get some proper feedback from Sky on this. There is a thread over there where some people claim that changing from SR101 to SR102 on SKy's recommendation has solved all the problems. Yet mine seems to work fine via SR101. I've asked over there "
      what is the difference between the SR101 and SR102 that means an EE Signal Box works with SR102 but not with SR101? Would you please obtain and post an explanation?" but so far no useful reply.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by Sky Broadband since 2007 ++

Binary is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      Yes, I expect there are many other valid reasons too.

I think the main point I was trying to make though was that, from reading through the experiences of other people, it wasn't clear exactly which of the two scenarios that I outlined in my previous post were applicable.

How many people cannot get the femtocell to work at all?
      How many people can get the femtocell to work for voice & sms services, but cannot get the femtocell to work for a data connection?

So, are there really two problems? Or is it just one problem (the latter scenario)?
      If there really are two problems, are there different root causes? Or is there a common root cause?

It's difficult to do any systematic analysis without clear & accurate reporting of the experienced problem(s)! Maybe a poll is needed.

Over on the Sky Help Forum, Scubbie & I have flagged up the issue with Sky via the private channel that we have access to, in an attempt to get some proper feedback from Sky on this. There is a thread over there where some people claim that changing from SR101 to SR102 on SKy's recommendation has solved all the problems. Yet mine seems to work fine via SR101. I've asked over there "
      what is the difference between the SR101 and SR102 that means an EE Signal Box works with SR102 but not with SR101? Would you please obtain and post an explanation?" but so far no useful reply.
      From what I'm aware its only the latter problem, i think due to there being multiple manufacturers of femtocells thats why some work (such as NEC)
      Bugatti Veyron - One of the greatest engineering projects ever!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Binary For This Useful Post:

speedyrite (13-04-14)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234