Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Slow broadband speeds

This is a discussion on Slow broadband speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi all im having very slow speeds . Been like it for the past few weeks. Been in touch with ...

shagy10 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01507
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Slow broadband speeds

hi all im having very slow speeds . Been like it for the past few weeks. Been in touch with sky and they are saying there are no problems with my line blah blah blah. My speed has dropped from 4.5 meg download to approx. 500kbps. My ping has drop to 57 from 160 ish and upload speed is approx. 375 as it was. All I keep getting from sky is its something to do with BT wholesale and they cant do anything about it. They have said the only option is to leave them as much as they don't want me to and find another provider. Any thoughts I am on sky connect

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Slow broadband speeds

Could you post your router's connection stats please?

How to get your Sky Router statistics

If your profile is correct and you are on Sky Broadband Connect, then the issue is most likely due to you going over the daily limit of 1.3GB. The stats will confirm to us if you are on the Connect package if you are unsure. Sometimes people think that they are on the Connect package, but they may have been upgraded.

In the mean time, could I suggest that you also take a look at the site linked below to see if FTTC is available in you area. If it is and you have the Connect package, then a good suggestion would be to upgrade for the princly sum of an extra 3 per month and get the up to 40/10 package with unlimited downloads. Of course other optins are available with other ISPs.

Where and when - Superfast Fibre Broadband

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Please post the Statistics as Scubbie suggested so we can check if it's a line problem or not, however if it isn't and you are on Connect and LLU/FTTC is not available then find another ISP.

If it's not your line that's the problem it's probably that Sky don't have enough capacity on the interconnects between Their network and BT Wholesale at the handover point, and to be honest I doubt they will be any hurry to upgrade it either given the cost of such capacity and the fact Sky mainly focus on their LLU network.

There are other providers that do ensure they have enough capacity, you might have to pay a bit more depending on who you go with but the experience should be a hell of a lot better than Skys is on the connect package.

Thanks

here are my stats hope someone can help
      System Details
      Manufacturer Sagemcom
      Model Number F@ST2504n
      Firmware Version 6.14.6a4N_UNI
      ADSL Firmware Version A2pD038m.d24h

Modem
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 6016 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

Broadband Port
      IP Address 94.7.15.101
      Network Type PPPoA
      IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.255
      Gateway IP Address 2.127.239.114
      Domain Name Server 90.207.238.97 90.207.238.99

WAN Port
      Port Detail
      Wan Port Status Not Connected

LAN Port
      MAC Address 90:01:3b:7c:01:2f
      IP Address 192.168.0.1
      DHCP On
      IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Wireless Port
      Name (SSID) SKYC012F
      Region Europe
      Current Channel 1
      Wireless AP enable
      Broadcast Name enable

Attached Devices
      Unknown Cabled
      Unknown Wireless
      Craigs-iPhone Wireless
      Unknown Wireless

Thanks

Yes you are on the Sky Connect package. Whilst at 6016kbps the connection isn't particuarly fast, the issue will be because you are going over the daily limit.

The only practical suggests are:

1. Do nothing
      2. Upgrade to a Fibre product (Sky Fibre is 20 per month, whilst Sky Connect is 17 per month)
      3. Change to a new ISP

Option 1 would mean that you will continue to experience problems.

Option 2 requires that you are able to order a Fibre based product. You don't have to stay with Sky, but it is unlimited, no penalties for any specific traffic (i.e. newsgroups, torrents) that some ISPs still slow you down for accessing.

Option 3 is quite simple nowadays. There are plenty out there which offer a better product that Sky Connect. This is everyone else as far as I know . Obviously please DO research things first.

The best packages come with an LLU supplier. Plusnet are popular at the present time. However they charge extra where the exchange is "Market 1". Check out some of your options here:

SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The best packages come with an LLU supplier. Plusnet are popular at the present time. However they charge extra where the exchange is "Market 1". Check out some of your options here:

SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search
      Network seems ok (Thus far) but be aware that the support are getting a bit swamped due to the rapid expansion they've been seeing lately which does seem to be leading to a slow response time and long phone queues.

Still whilst waiting is annoying at least you get through to a person and not a script reading monkey.

Thanks

Hi
      how can I be going over my daily allowance. The only person online in the week is my wife with her phone. I work away all week so don't use it. That seems a bit odd.
      As for the llu is that someone with their own equipment in the exchange. Thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Yes llu is with their own kit in the exchange although the number of choices is dwindling that said there are loads of isps that have wholesale agreements with either Bt and/or the llu providers.

At the end of the day it's more about how much capacity they've paid for and their service to you. As when it comes down to dealing with who ever is actually supplying the network behind the scenes is the isps problem to worry about

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shagy10 View Post
      how can I be going over my daily allowance. The only person online in the week is my wife with her phone. I work away all week so don't use it. That seems a bit odd...
      Sky Broadband Connect has a published monthly limit of 40GB.

Divide this into 31days and you get a daily limit of around 1.3GB.

If you go over this limit too many days in a row your connection speed gets heavily capped.

What can cause you to go over?

The CUTV/On Demand sections are supposed to not affect this daily limit, but I suspect that too much can affect the overall monthly limit.

M$ released their monthly Windows updates this week. Depending on what computer/s you have this will cause some activity.

PS3 updates can sometimes be quite chunky. So to can Xbox 360 updates.

Skype calls soon add up to usage.

Streaming videos from the BBC iPlayer or YouTube an quickly eat up your usage too.

Your wife may not do any of these.

If you haven't changed the Sky router's WiFi password someone may have hacked into it. The default for all Sky routers is:

Wireless name (SSID): SKY????? (where the ? can be either numbers or capital letters)
      Wireless password : 8 Capital Letters

Check that your router is set to use WPA2. I would highly recommend changing the SSID and password to something else entirely different too.

The SSID is broadcast in public, so be careful what name you choose (i.e. don't use rude words, your family name, home number/name). Otherwise you can use virtually anything you like as long as it is alphanumeric.

The password can be anything you like, but I would suggest something relatively simple to type.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If the exchange is busy you will be throttled whether you go over the limit or not, this has been the case with Connect for several years now.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast