Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Ukonline to Sky Broadband experience

This is a discussion on Ukonline to Sky Broadband experience within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone, Id just like to start out by saying what a amazing forum this is, and that i was ...

silvalink is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hendon
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ukonline to Sky Broadband experience

Hi everyone, Id just like to start out by saying what a amazing forum this is, and that i was lucky to find it!

Well I dont want to make this too long, but I have a situation that is very strange and so thought id share it with the forum and see what all of you thought of it. Basically I was signed up to UKonline's 8MB unlimited service for over a year, in August I registered interest in Sky broadband, and at the beginning of sepetmber I recieved the band code and called to register with sky.

When signing up I did not have a mac code, but was told thats not a problem and that I could call back later with the mac code and the order could progress in the meantime. I was ofcourse aware of UKonline being part of Easynet and Sky so was not too concerned. A few days later I recieved my router, but even though I had requested a mac code from UKO it took over 2 weeks of calls to get one. When I finally called sky by nearly the end of sept to give them the mac code after a long wait I was told that a mac code was not needed and that I was infact already connected to sky broadband! I was a bit surprised by this since I was still connected to UKO with their username and password, using my own netgear DG834G router.

So after that I simply unpacked my router and plugged it in. To my surprise, the router connected and Im being able to use the internet. Infact the router synchs at 8000 kbps and i get dl speeds in the region of 6500kbps which is not bad.

So now my problem? Well it seems im still connected to UKonline and also to sky broadband, I dont want to rock the boat and tell UKO to terminate my broadband incase this actually terminates sky as well, since im sure im connected to the same equipment as before so in essence this is only a name change. The reason I say this is that I ordrered the Max product and with the distance from the Hendon exchange being about 2.9km (direct) and my line attenuation at 29db and noise margin at 12.9db I should be able to get speeds of up to 14.5MB. So my questions are, why is my sky DG834GT not synching at anything above 8000kbps (the same speed that I was on with UKO), why is my UKO account still active, and how do I get Sky to uncap my speed so that I can get the higher line speeds that I should get! Sorry fot the long post, but im sure if anyone can help me it would be people at this forum, thanks again!

2. Advertisement
      SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      hello silvalink and welcome to the site

could you tell us what your up speed is ?
      to get uncaped you have to speak to tech support and when you do finaly get through to tier 3 they are the most helpfull people you will find on SkyBB ,

it is strange how you can connect to UKO and Sky but like you said they are the same company ish.

Glenn
      "To help would be a great adventure"

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply glenn!

My up speed is 768 kbps. I have also just tried to connect using the test socked by removing the NTE5 faceplate. This has not resulted in a change in up or down synch. I really feel that the line has not yet been uncapped even though the lady I talked to at sky initially today seems to believe that it is.

Silly question perhaps but how do I get to talk to tier 3, is it just a matter of phoning in to tech support and asking for tier 3? or do I need to kick up some fuss Thanks again!

Depul is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Northwood
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yeah I am in a similar position as you migrating from UKO to Sky however my UKO line was ceased and then the Sky reactivated it (a day early on a Sunday as well!). I am on the MAX product and cant seem to get above 8mb sync speed.

These are my router stats (I swear line attenuation and noise margin were better on my previous router when I was with UKO)
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6695 kbps 766 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34.5 db 20.2 db
      Noise Margin 6.5 db 11.5 db

Anyone know if I should be seeing better speeds. I spoke to Sky technical support and they seem to think that the lines are never capped unless there is a special request to do so. Also they seem to think that my line is not active even though its been running for 2 days.

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      to get to speak to tier 3 i think your have to kick up a fuss but once you get to them they will be able to help or explain much much better, sky needs a lot more of these guys

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It really is a strange situation, as an update I rang Tech Support again and this time they agreed to inform tier 3 about my problem and said that they would be in touch with me within 5 days with a response. So all I can do now is wait and see. On the bright side I have not lost a days internet (yet touch wood) and am connected at a steady 8000kbps which is actually more stable than when I used to connect with my old netgear DG834G so Im happy with the price to speed ratio, however Im pretty sure I could get around 14megs or maybe a bit more if the line is uncapped. Im just hoping this is going to go smoothly rather than some long blown out process! Ill keep you updated! My full line stats are:-

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8000 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.0 db 15.0 db
      Noise Margin 12.9 db 15.0 db

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      id say you would prob expect 10-12Mb BUT it does depend on a lot of variables

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I guess even a slight increase in speed would be a big bonus considering with UKO I was paying 39.99 for the same service (yep was stuck in their 12 month contract before they reduced prices!). Lets hope and pray would make dl off newsgroups an even faster experience!