Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

BB questions

This is a discussion on BB questions within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, At the moment i'm with Virgin on their 30MB fibre package 9 I get about 28 Mb's), after ...

Shawpe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Plymstock
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other

BB questions

Hi all,

At the moment i'm with Virgin on their 30MB fibre package 9 I get about 28 Mb's), after checking on the Sky website they say I would receive roughly 6.8 Mb's - 13.5 Mb's (Which after further reading means i'd get between 8-11 Mb's due to my distance from the exchange).

Now i'm happy to go to Sky and await their Fibre whenever it comes, however as this is going to equate to a loss of about 50% of my BB speeds, what does that actually equate to in real terms?

We only really use it for basic browsing, iTunes, YouTube and very light downloading. Will it be a sharp decline? Will I even notice? At the moment YouTube runs perfectly, will this become a problem?

Sorry for the rush of questions, but i'm ready to call Sky and order, but am slightly concerned that this could offer a drastic loss in our internet usage.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Near Portsmouth
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: BB questions

YouTube may pause a little more often, but should in the main be fine if you avoid having multiple people access at the same time.

Again any iTunes downloads will take a little longer too, but not a major problem.

What you should also notice: The speeds should be constant and not reliant upon the time of day or whether it is a weekend or weekday.

Do note too: Initially Sky will connect you at about 4096kbps down & 605kbps up. This is normal. After about 3 days the DLM software will start changing your connection speeds. This will go on for up to 10 days (20 in rare cases).

However, provided that your telephone line is of good quality and that the connections are good, once you are connected you can post your connection statistics and we can provide a clearer guidance on what to expect.

We use the checker in the tools link above to provide the main information:

SkyUser - Potential ADSL2 Line Speed Checker & Calculator

Experience and feed back from other members got helps after that.

Changing from Sky Broadband Unlimited to SFU or SFUP is quite easy too. It can be done within the contract period.

If you have a BTO Engineer visit, do let him install a VDSL filtered faceplate too (see pictures below). This is the best one for ADSL connections and perfect for an FTTC connection as well.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Shawpe (24-09-13)