Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Sky Connect - indecent connection speed

This is a discussion on Sky Connect - indecent connection speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm new to the forum, and this is more like a rant rather than a request for help, since ...

spomata is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWGAR - Garston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Sky Connect - indecent connection speed

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and this is more like a rant rather than a request for help, since I'm quite sure there's nothing to do about it.

As the title says, I have Sky Connect at home, and starting 6-7 pm every given day, for the whole rest of the day the connection is, again as per title, indecent. No skype allowed, as it would drop every second, no youtube, slow browsing for medium complexity webpages (bbc news), no iPlayer streaming.

I wonder how could Sky put its name on such overcrowded, low-quality, high-line-attenuation connections.
      I spoke to my landlord, he contacted Sky and, not being him a tech-savvy, all he obtained is a further reduction of downstream carrier frequency, with an incredible gain of 1dB in downstream noise margin.

For the record, here is what it looks like:

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5477 kbps 799 kbps
      Line Attenuation 42.0 dB 25.4 dB
      Noise Margin 7.4 dB 15.15 dB
      Plenty of juice, ain't it?

Now, the question is: will ever Sky extend its network to my area (WD24)? I know it's probably impossible to say but, huh, maybe somebody has hints.

Thank you

2. Advertisement
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect - indecent connection speed

Quote Originally Posted by spomata View Post
      Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and this is more like a rant rather than a request for help, since I'm quite sure there's nothing to do about it.

As the title says, I have Sky Connect at home, and starting 6-7 pm every given day, for the whole rest of the day the connection is, again as per title, indecent. No skype allowed, as it would drop every second, no youtube, slow browsing for medium complexity webpages (bbc news), no iPlayer streaming.

I wonder how could Sky put its name on such overcrowded, low-quality, high-line-attenuation connections.
      I spoke to my landlord, he contacted Sky and, not being him a tech-savvy, all he obtained is a further reduction of downstream carrier frequency, with an incredible gain of 1dB in downstream noise margin.

For the record, here is what it looks like:

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5477 kbps 799 kbps
      Line Attenuation 42.0 dB 25.4 dB
      Noise Margin 7.4 dB 15.15 dB
      Plenty of juice, ain't it?

Now, the question is: will ever Sky extend its network to my area (WD24)? I know it's probably impossible to say but, huh, maybe somebody has hints.

Thank you
      Have you called Sky?

Unfortunately, Connect customers aren't always moved to Sky's own broadband when it becomes available at the exchange.
      If Fibre is scheduled to become available then this is likely to become available before broadband unlimited for most Connect areas.

Check the Sam Knows database and see if any other LLU providers (nowadays only really talktalk - they are still in more exchanges than Sky) are in the exchange, if so then Sky will get there eventually. If not then there may be a problem with the exchange like too few customers or no space for additional equipment.
      Also check if BT's "21st century network" is there otherwise even other providers won't give faster speeds though the traffic management may not be so aggressive at peak times.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bubblegun For This Useful Post:

spomata (20-09-13)

Thanks

Thank you for the tip on exchange database.
      Looks like I belong to this SamKnows - Broadband Availability - Garston (LWGAR) Exchange and Sky should be available, according to the information reported.

Unfortunately, there's no point in calling Sky since the landlord is the person who manages the subscription, I don't have any account details and, as far as I've understood, he doesn't really care as long as he can check his email (email is not exactly a network hog).

How does Sky decide whether to move you in their ULL network or not?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Are you certain you are on Connect? These sync figures do not look like BTMax which you would be on as a Connect customer. They are more like ADSL2+, which would be Sky LLU. It is possible you, or your landlord has been transferred to LLU are infact on DLM training. Check the WAN uptime on the router stats, if it is showing a resync in the early hours, you are very likely on DLM training.

The other way would be to check the broadband details on the MY Sky page. The payer will be paying a lot less for LLU than Connect, which is 17 a month.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Unfortunately I don't have access to account details online. You're right, I might be on LLU but I don't think I'm in DLM training as this situation is persistent from the very first days in this house (months ago).
      In case I'm on LLU network, is it just normal to have bandwidth reductions during peak hours? I mean, there is no excessive usage of the internet connection. Is there a bw cap?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Could I ask you to perform a few speed tests at different times of the day please?

There is a possibility that the backhaul has become congested. If you can show some suitable evidence then I can chase this up if you like.

I was under the impression that someone within Sky was developing an app for their website so that you could check your exchange. I am having difficulty finding it at the moment but will post something on the forum when I can find it.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

spomata (20-09-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Could I ask you to perform a few speed tests at different times of the day please?

There is a possibility that the backhaul has become congested. If you can show some suitable evidence then I can chase this up if you like.

I was under the impression that someone within Sky was developing an app for their website so that you could check your exchange. I am having difficulty finding it at the moment but will post something on the forum when I can find it.
      that would really be kind of you, since I'm not "entitled" to file any complaint against Sky. But my question is: which test should I rely upon? OOkla speedtest for example?

Thank you

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

You will need to gather the results over a period of time. The speedtest.net site can vary in results, but the Namesco (London) and Structured Communications (London) site should work well.

Alternatively use the BT speedtest page:

BTW Performance Test

Doing the test needs to be managed as well.

• ensure that no torrents are downloading or uploading
      • ensure no other download activity is happening either
      • connect via the Ethernet port on the computer being used
      • do at least 3 tests each time (from experience this is often better) and use the best result
      • do the test say once an hour

I hope that this helps.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Ok. I'll start from tonight on (since apparently I'm reaching more than decent speeds) and keep on testing for 5-6 days, compatible with my work shifts.
      Thank you

13. The Following User Says Thank You to spomata For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (20-09-13)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The exchange checker seems to be broken as it gives an Application error and has done for several days now.

http://exchange-checker.sky.com/serviceupdates

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast