Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

So I got my new Sky Hub

This is a discussion on So I got my new Sky Hub within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I used to Get this (for over 2 years stable)... Then a few months back it dropped to this ADSL ...

joe pineapples is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLBAL. (Balby)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

So I got my new Sky Hub

I used to Get this (for over 2 years stable)...

So I got my new Sky Hub-t3o2.jpg

Then a few months back it dropped to this

ADSL Link Down Up
      Connection Speed 8377 kbps 838 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40.5 db 21.6 db
      Noise Margin 7.0 db 6.5 db

So I decided to replace my old Sagem 2504 with the new Sky Hub (hoping I might claw back my original speed at least, with a possible lower snr target margin after line training again). When I first plugged it in, it sync'd more or less the same as above, but overtime (same day) dropped the snr down to around this this...

So I got my new Sky Hub-w28l.jpg

I haven't touched it since first switching it on and it has kept the same pattern every day....around 4.5 during the day and dropping to around 3 in the evenings (about the same drop difference as the Sagem), with no re-syncs/disconnections. Just not sure what is going on. Frustrated that the snr has gone down but the sync speed has stayed the same. Also a bit worried that if I reboot it, the system will see the lower snr and drop the sync even lower.

Note that I haven't asked Sky to retrain my line yet and the 'mysky' website message above has remained the same.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: So I got my new Sky Hub

Have you checked this with the router plugged into the test socket using the filter and cable supplied with the hub? The difference in noise margin between day and evening isn't that great but if it persists with the router plugged into the test socket you might like to check that all other phone sockets in the house are dead and do quiet line checks from the test socket using a corded telephone to hear if there is any discernible increase in line noise during the evening.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Can you plug your Sagem in again and see what result you get? Different routers perform differently on different lines. My SR101/2, DG834GT and Sagem 2504 all sync at about 11200kbps, but my DG934G only syncs at 10100 kbps. All with a 6+db margin.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

There is no test socket as such, as its an older BT master socket. It is plugged directly into that socket though using the same XF-1e filter and round RJ11 cable I used with the Sagem. No extensions and tried a quiet line test a while back with a corded phone. Only change between Sagem and New hub is location slightly different by about a foot.

So I got my new Sky Hub-tx7k.jpg

Sagem used to be flat under the unit (left in picture). I'd also previously (with the Sagem) swapped the XF-1e with a generic one and no difference (stayed at 7db at that time). I probably will test the SKy Hub with the cable it came with but tbh the round (molded ends) one I bought specially ought to be better quality, unless something has happened to it, but was fine with the Sagem

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Can you plug your Sagem in again and see what result you get? Different routers perform differently on different lines. My SR101/2, DG834GT and Sagem 2504 all sync at about 11200kbps, but my DG934G only syncs at 10100 kbps. All with a 6+db margin.
      Can do a bit later.

Thanks

Won't be able to try anything while tomorrow now, but just wondering if there's a set number of forced disconnections in a certain time period which will trigger line training?. I intend swapping out routers, cables etc a fair bit tomorrrow, but I don't want line training being invoked until I'm happier for it to do so.

thanks
      joe