Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Help!

This is a discussion on Help! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So my internet has generally been pretty awful at this place I live at the moment - But we were ...

acidicpure is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Help!

So my internet has generally been pretty awful at this place I live at the moment - But we were estimated to get ~16Mb, I'm just trying to figure out whats been causing my internet to often run slower than Dial Up would.

At the moment of making this post I'm currently getting:

(The pings a bit too high for my liking)

But even with these speeds the internet often disconnects itself and the download/upload on the router stats go to 0 and they will stay like that for 10 mins or more. When we first moved in to the house we use to get About 15Mb-18Mb speeds.

On occasions the internet we get sometimes struggles to hit 1Mb but it often sits around 2000-3000 kbps on the router stats, 8000 is pretty much the highest I can get it to at the moment.

Onto the stats:
      System Up Time: 01:00:05
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 212197 194493 0 12040 29050 00:55:51
      LAN 100M/Full 177639 199684 0 27850 8951 01:00:00
      WLAN 11M/54M 29779 35171 0 4112 4116 00:59:48

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8187 kbps 797 kbps
      Line Attenuation 16 db 8 db
      Noise Margin 13 db 17 db

Noise margin is generally at 18-20 db.

Could this be an issue with Sky, or our phone line? We are pretty close the nearest exchange. I had been debating to just leave Sky behind with their internet and get another phone line installed as Sky refuse to do anything as they say it's on our side - The router we are currently using is about 5-6 years old so i've been told but Sky won't send us another one unless we spend like £80 to buy it - Can I use a 3rd party router/modem in it's place if that is the issue?

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Help!

I would guess at an issue with your line.
      With a line attenuation of 16 you should be knocking on 20mb.
      The very high nm indicates an issue, can you post stats with the router plugged directly into the test socket ?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      I would guess at an issue with your line.
      With a line attenuation of 16 you should be knocking on 20mb.
      The very high nm indicates an issue, can you post stats with the router plugged directly into the test socket ?
      Not 100% sure which one the test socket is, but if from what I've read it looks similar to:
      [img]http://www.plus.net/images/support/b...estsocketa.jpg[/img]

Then it's already plugged into the test socket, but this is still the same socket that the Sky technician wired our sky box etc to when we originally moved in. We have 2 other phone sockets in the household but the other 2 do not work.

I've also been told that soon as we plug in the phone to the socket the internet takes a nosedive and plays up even more.

Thanks

That's the test socket.
      If everything is plugged into that then I assume you are using a splitter ?
      Is there a filter fitted before everything else ?
      If so try a different filter.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      That's the test socket.
      If everything is plugged into that then I assume you are using a splitter ?
      Is there a filter fitted before everything else ?
      If so try a different filter.
      Don't believe we have another splitter around to use - Does it actually need a splitter connected in order to just use the internet?

Thanks

Do you mean does it need a splitter or a filter ?
      You stated earlier that your sky box is also connected to the test socket.
      You should have a filter plugged into the test socket, one side of this takes your router cable the other side your telephone cable.
      If you have more than one device that needs to plug into the phone side ( a sky box etc ) then you will need a splitter on the phone side.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Maybe if you could post a photo of the socket with all the wires plugged in we could help you further.

If the Sky box is wired directly to the phone line, then that is what is causing all your problems. You should have pretty near the full speed of 24Mb. If it is connected direct, cut the wires and take your stats.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

if sky tv box is wired directly to call sky they can get sky engineer to remove this but can be hassle as only people can book this is tv tech not bb and phone tech
      of course this depends how tv is connected better test would post yours stats with/out other devices connected
      may be bad splitter or extension cable for tv causing issues or simply poor filters

also moving to another company will not fix issue as you already have a bt socket line would just be activated at exchange as would be no need for openreach engineer to fit socket as already there
      Last edited by tenar; 08-09-13 at 10:27 PM. Reason: more

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tenar View Post
      if sky tv box is wired directly to call sky they can get sky engineer to remove this but can be hassle as only people can book this is tv tech not bb and phone tech
      of course this depends how tv is connected better test would post yours stats with/out other devices connected
      may be bad splitter or extension cable for tv causing issues or simply poor filters

also moving to another company will not fix issue as you already have a bt socket line would just be activated at exchange as would be no need for openreach engineer to fit socket as already there
      Well after looking at all the prices I just decided to go with BT to install a new phone line which I will be doing next month - They will be installing a new phone line so I will have two phone lines into my household.

Doing this will actually cost less than having Sky send out an engineer/technician to my household to look at the problem as they want to charge us for the call out to which I got a quote for £130 whilst BT just want £125 as an upfront fee which will be credited on my future bills.

I really can't be bothered with Sky anymore because they only ever cause problems.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by acidicpure View Post
      Well after looking at all the prices I just decided to go with BT to install a new phone line which I will be doing next month - They will be installing a new phone line so I will have two phone lines into my household.

Doing this will actually cost less than having Sky send out an engineer/technician to my household to look at the problem as they want to charge us for the call out to which I got a quote for £130 whilst BT just want £125 as an upfront fee which will be credited on my future bills.

I really can't be bothered with Sky anymore because they only ever cause problems.
      You need to troubleshoot the problem!

The point of the troubleshooting is to rule out a problem with internal wiring which is also what the helpful people above have been trying to help you with.

The £125 that you will be paying BT isn't to fix internal wiring problems, these will cost additional money on top.

The quoted price from Sky is what Openreach will charge if the problem is found to be an internal wiring fault so doing the troubleshooting is much cheaper. Especially if it's a faulty splitter (£2?) or microfilter (£free from Sky).

Sky quoting that price is to get you to do the proper troubleshooting. They don't want to have you charged for an internal fault. If the fault is beyond the test socket to outside your home then it will be fixed for free.

BT must be delighted £125+ for a simple fix of what is probably a basic problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast