Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree1Likes

Help!

This is a discussion on Help! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; They will probably not install a new cable, they will simply use the spare pair on the incoming cable. It ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Help!

They will probably not install a new cable, they will simply use the spare pair on the incoming cable. It is hard to see how installing another line is going to be cheaper and solve your problems. You will have to pay BT's high rental charges on the line, which added to the installation charge will be a lot more than trouble-shooting your line properly would be.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      acidicpure is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      They will probably not install a new cable, they will simply use the spare pair on the incoming cable. It is hard to see how installing another line is going to be cheaper and solve your problems. You will have to pay BT's high rental charges on the line, which added to the installation charge will be a lot more than trouble-shooting your line properly would be.
      Tried using different filters and even getting rid of any splitters. There is nothing else I can do to test it on my end as none of the other sockets work. Lately my speed is barely hitting 1Mb/s and struggling to stay connected for more than 10 minutes.

I'm at a complete loss here, literally the only thing I can do is get a engineer sent out to me which Sky will not do unless I'm willing to pay like 150 to get the stuff fixed (Assuming they actually find the issue) but because I'm not the bill payer I can't get them to send one out and the person who is the bill payer refuses to pay that much money cause he believes Sky is useless and won't fix it even though they are the ones who messed it up in the first place.

steelysteph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lancaster
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM Hub 3
      Sky TV: 2TB Minnie Mous
      Thanks

Can you post a picture as suggested by IsItme last week? If an engineer has hard-wired an extension to the test socket for your Sky STB you can get them back to do it right.

Exchange:
      Thanks

http://i.imgur.com/0FXbv97.jpg

Is that what you mean? The little white box laying on the floor is the one that has the wire going to the Sky HD box, So it's not because of that I'd guess.

nellisere is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMBOSTO
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Have you tried ringing Sky and asking them to run a line test, if it's the same in the test socket it would indicate a problem outside of your house so it's up to Sky to get someone to fix it.

Thanks

Can you post your stats from the test socket please. Remember you will not see an increase in speed but there may be an increase in the noise margin and possibly a decrease in the attenuation.

One of the common problems is having the Sky extension plugged in before the filter. The filter should be the first thing plugged in, then the Sky splitter plugged into it. This often happens because the splitter sometimes has a label on it saying 'Do not remove', ignore this label.
      steelysteph likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Can you post your stats from the test socket please. Remember you will not see an increase in speed but there may be an increase in the noise margin and possibly a decrease in the attenuation.

One of the common problems is having the Sky extension plugged in before the filter. The filter should be the first thing plugged in, then the Sky splitter plugged into it. This often happens because the splitter sometimes has a label on it saying 'Do not remove', ignore this label.
      Do believe that is the test socket as that's the one the bill payer said he was asked to plug it into when he phoned up Sky, none of the other sockets actually work and we have 3. One in the living room which looks like an old one but we were told it didn't work. The one it's plugged into atm is the only one and yes, we have tried plugging into all 3 sockets around the house but no luck.

the splitter isn't even plugged in at the moment and half the time my connection turns off for a few hours and then comes back online for 10 mins at most and then goes back off for an hour or two whilst sometimes it will be stable, albeit slow, for a couple of hours.

I've yet to find an explanation for it and as I currently can't connect to the internet and being forced to use my phone tethered to my PC to type this up I can't actually get any stats as they'd all state 0 at the current time, but when the connection does come on it all looks fine and dandy - Just like the numbers in my original post except the speed is down to about 3100 Kbps down and 780 Kbps up.

Thanks

If you are plugged into the test socket and still getting drop outs, then the problem is with your external line or the router.

Going back to your picture, I am assuming that the wires shown tucked up behind the plate are going to the extensions. Could you remove the plate and check that these wires are properly tied off and not touching the A or B terminals on the back of the plate. If they are, this could cause the problems you are having.

If you have a friend who could lend you a router, preferably a Sky one, that could rule out router failure.

TomD

Useful Utilites

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

If you are plugged into the test socket and still getting drop outs, then the problem is with your external line or the router.

Going back to your picture, I am assuming that the wires shown tucked up behind the plate are going to the extensions. Could you remove the plate and check that these wires are properly tied off and not touching the A or B terminals on the back of the plate. If they are, this could cause the problems you are having.

If you have a friend who could lend you a router, preferably a Sky one, that could rule out router failure.
      If you don't have a spare Sky router call cancellations most advisor's have no clue about broadband technical things and will send you a router for free if you don't cancel.
      This seems to be the last step in most troubleshooting if everything else has been checked.

I might not have explained this correctly in my previous post but the Sky advisor that books an Openreach visit for an internal problem where YOU get charged will get a lot of **** (sorry for swearing!). No-one will book the visit without making sure this isn't likely to happen, but Openreach require the statement about the charge to be read before any visit can be booked.

I had a 0.8Mb speed when my broadband got connected. I knew this was crap so I made sure the problem was outside the property by taking time to go through the troubleshooting and I did accept the statement. The Openreach engineer came out and found the problem was on the "drop-cable" (between the pole outside and my house), he replaced this and it was all fixed and there was no charge.

If the troubleshooting is done fully you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12