Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CHAP Authentication Failure

This is a discussion on CHAP Authentication Failure within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; BT went off on 16th, Sky was meant to come on the 17th, BT router wouldn't connect on 17th, it ...

Christopher is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sacriston
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

CHAP Authentication Failure

BT went off on 16th, Sky was meant to come on the 17th, BT router wouldn't connect on 17th, it was asking for username and password, I figure this is because sky now had the line.

Sky router came plugged all in (this was on 19th) green internet light, wireless with WPA worked great, only problem was there was no IP address being obtained from sky, anyhow, troubleshooting myself got me as far as clicking on "connection status" LCP kept coming up and down and each time CHAP auth would fail.

I know that LCP is used to send CHAP auth details handshakes and what not and I know that CHAP is pretty much a solid basic method of authenticating, yet it was failing, I knew that the CHAP uname and pwd would be deep inside the router somewhere and I couldn't think how sky could be in the wrong here, its basic stuff that.

So I rang round tech support who could hardly understand me not sure if it was pakistan but they were hard to understand and were pretty stupid anyhow they directed me to the sky test after hours of patronising me asking if cables were plugged in and power was on and I was even told to go to www.sky.com?!?!? when I had no Internet connection?

anyhow he didnt help so he said he would transfer it to tier 2, who said they would send it to tier 3, who would call me back within 5 days (which is crap)

Anyhow now its all working, it suddenly started to work yesterday and I am kind of happy, I must note i got through to some irish tech support who were great, and also some scottish tech support who again were great!

When i told the foreign guy that I wanted a telephone number to place a complaint about the 5 day wait he blatantly told me a completely wrong number, stupid guy.

Would anyone like to shed any light on this CHAP problem, could it have just been slow moving on sky's part?

2. Advertisement
      hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      The chap will fail until you are activated, this could be at BTs end or Sky, some people have had over month between bt ceasing their old ISP and activating sky.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ah so just because my BT line was deactivated and my sky activation date had passed and all the technical support at sky said i was active i wasn't, it makes good sense actually that, sky need to get better tech support, they really are shocking, the irish and scottish guys are friendly enough but those foreigners, no thanks

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

CHAP just started failing again tonight, it fails, accepts, fails fails fails accepts, fails accepts, fails fails, accepts, fails no pattern to it, it is really annoying how can CHAP fail and then suddenly accept? if the chap username and password are wrong then surely their wrong and will never ever be accepted, and if their right then surely they will never be rejected?

vishal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kenton Road (LWKROA)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      it does sound like a problem i was having, it was down to sky, and it just fixed itself.
      cant really help more than that except, dont fiddle around with settings as they are obviously fine.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

all is working now I believe I am passed the 10 day training period so the cut outs should get less now, one problem is i disanled upnp and tried to login to msn messenger, didnt click on that i needed to forward the port or enable upnp again, dont think upnp effects stability for me, its working nice now hope sky find out this chap problem and get it fixed so it doesnt come back again, it hasnt happened today thank god

imaslin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wanborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

another one...

Having the same problem. CHAP Auth Failed. Been down now for nearly 2 weeks and no call back as usual. Have to agree about the offshore help desk. I couldn't understand a word and they were only reading of crib sheets. If you get this CHAP issue try and go direct to level 3 customer support. I'll give them another week and then I'll go back to my old ISP.

Question - did you all get refunds. Sky originally advised they are charging me from the activation date.

imaslin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wanborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

chap issue resolved

I'm suprised but BT fixed it. It was the line running at different speeds between my router/exchange and the ISP(sky) -well that's what they told me. Anyway as a result I now am runing at 2.8mb rather then the 1mb that my exchange could apparently handle? I'm thinking the CHAP autentication failed message covers all manner of things.

Stephen Kirrage is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woking
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
      all is working now I believe I am passed the 10 day training period so the cut outs should get less now, one problem is i disanled upnp and tried to login to msn messenger, didnt click on that i needed to forward the port or enable upnp again, dont think upnp effects stability for me, its working nice now hope sky find out this chap problem and get it fixed so it doesnt come back again, it hasnt happened today thank god
      I've had the 'LCP is allowed to come up' and the box polling the server for 24 hours and ....no connection. It was fine until yesterday. Shame because I'm getting sync speed of 12000!

tittybiscuits is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: dunfermline
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      good to hear nice comments about the scottish tech support and the irish!

if u want the support and service sky subscribers deserve, make sure u get one of these contact centres.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 02-05-13, 10:44 AM