Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

loss of DL speed weird ip locations

This is a discussion on loss of DL speed weird ip locations within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My problem… Old router faulty so ordered the sky hub… No problem set-up ok Then we noticed wifi keeps dropping, ...

jm191 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blythe Bridge
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

loss of DL speed weird ip locations

My problem…
      Old router faulty so ordered the sky hub…
      No problem set-up ok

Then we noticed wifi keeps dropping, so I check router yes it is all set for wifi but while checking I notice my sync has dropped to 12282 it used to be 14xxx - 15xxx, so I did a speed test and I was shocked to find I am only getting 10.03 I used to get 13.55, then I noticed on the speed test the advert saying get the best BB deals in Southampton so I did an ip location trace.

And yes sure enough it came back as Southampton so I rebooted the router and checked again, and did it all again.
      Southampton, Oxford, London and Southampton again… the area I should be in is Stoke on Trent

Now I know the exchange is being upgraded to fibre due at the end of September, would this cause the problem or is it a sky bb problem.
      I am on unlimited sky BB, BT phone line, any clues as to what is going on?

I have not rung Sky as yet…

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: loss of DL speed weird ip locations

ok found another thread with the answer to the different ip locations... np there

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

No worries. Basically the IP Addresses rarely come up with the correct location.

As for the WiFi disconnecting, could I ask if you could reboot your device first, then let us know what happens?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Hi there…
      When I reboot the router then the devices can connect, although later in the same day I find out the wireless connection has dropped again and another reboot needed to allow connection…
      Lap top and n8 phone, note that an apple device cannot connect no matter what… not really a problem I don’t use apple, friends do(they used to connect on the netgear router though),all the wired devices have no problems

I have just been informed by my wife that the sky hub keeps reconnecting adsl 1-2 times a day for no apparent reason early evening… smiley face goes orange then off then flashes orange as it is coming back online

Thanks

Ok, that last bit indicates that there may be an issue with your connection.

This may cause your laptop to see a 'restricted connection' and this may cause the WiFi to disconnect.

Taking a look at the router, could you describe how it is connected to the telephone line (i.e. microfilters, filterfaceplate, extensions, master socket) please?

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Hi again…

The sky hub is connected to the master socket with a micro filter; the sky box is plugged in on the 2nd socket with a micro filter.
      I will say I have already tried unplugging the sky box, and changed the micro filters, to no avail, bt line test shows nothing wrong…

I just noticed we are on 14meg, it used to be 16meg which explains the drop in sync I think…

Added stats

Router Statistics
      System Up Time: 10:42:19
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 880950 952986 0 39878 4437 10:41:00
      LAN Up 85875 62720 0 57653 10918 10:42:19
      WLAN Up 0 0 0 0 0 07:52:55
      Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 12282 kbps 921 kbps
      Line Attenuation 30.5 dB 15.7 dB
      Noise Margin 6.0 dB 10.10 dB

Thanks

Thank you. Those stats show that the router was reset around 10 hours and 42 minute preior to you taking them, as shown in the System Up Time.

As both the LAN and WLAN times reflect a similar period I am guessing that you power cycled the router around then. If not, then either there is a power issue (i.e. electric socket) or a fault with the router.

Before making a recommendation about getting a filtered faceplate (more in a moment) I have taken a look at SaKnows and the Openreach Where & When page. Both show that Fibre is due to go live soon where you are.

SamKnows - Broadband Availability - Blythe Bridge (WMBLY) Exchange

Openreach - Superfast fibre broadband - Where and when

This leads me to suspect the possibility that with BTO or their contractors working in your area, they may well be affecting things. Could I suggest that you speak with your neighbours to see if they are also experiencing similar issues?

As for the filtered faceplate, basically these offer the best method to filter the ADSL signal and one plate is also used for the FTTC (VDSL) signal as well. If you have an NTE5 Master Socket (see photo below) and are not intending to get a Fibre connection too soon, then I would suggest a filtered faceplate to help. Howevr for the moment my money is on the fibre work causing you problems as we have seen similar reports on the forum previously.

NTE5 Master Socket (note split faceplate)

As for the filtered faceplates, the best on the market at present is the VDSL faceplate:

BT vDSL NTE5 Filtered Faceplate|Interstitial Faceplate

This slips between the existing faceplate and the Test Socket and requires very little work. When Fibre is installed it is what the BTO Engineers should use.

There are others available on the site linked above. You will also need an IDC tool for these other filtered faceplates as well as you have an extension.