Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Extending a Wireless network range with 2 Sagemcom routers

This is a discussion on Extending a Wireless network range with 2 Sagemcom routers within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I need a little bit of help please. I have 2 Sagemcom 2504N routers. One is connected to ADSL and ...

stevie300online is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Extending a Wireless network range with 2 Sagemcom routers

I need a little bit of help please.

I have 2 Sagemcom 2504N routers. One is connected to ADSL and the other I wanted to use as a wifi extender in another part of the house which has no wifi coverage.

I have connected the second router to the network via home plugs and so there is an Ethernet to Ethernet connection. The second router has a static IP address different to the ADSL router so there is no conflict.

The SSIDs are the same on both routers, as is the wifi password. The only difference is that the 2 are operating on different wifi channels.

This all works fine and i can now get a good signal where one didn't exist before. However one thing is still an issue. Unless I am in the part of the house where the first router is then I don't get a valid IP address, I just get an APIPA address (169.x.x.x). I disabled the second router DHCP server as there is no way of setting the default gateway to be the first routers address. I even flashed the firmware on the second router to see if I could set it there but nothing that I can see. Do I need to do anything else to be able to set this?

I'm 90% there and just need a little bit of help to figure out the last annoyance. Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Extending a Wireless network range with 2 Sagemcom routers

Just to confirm, have you disabled the DHCP server on the 2nd router? Also check out this thread:

How to connect two Routers together

Next could I suggest that you set a reserved address for one item which is having this problem? I would advise against setting a static address on the Laptop, for example, as this could cause a problem if you take it elsewhere. By using the router to set the Laptop's IP Address, there would be no issue if you took it elsewhere.

Set it up on the main router and see if this resolves the issue.

If you can report back and let us know what happens please, this would be appreciated.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

stevie300online is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Thanks for your quick response.

To confirm, the only static IP address are on the 2 routers. The one which is connected to the ADSL line is 192.168.10.254 and this is the only router issuing IP addresses (192.168.10.10 to 192.168.10.99 ). The second router used as a wifi extender has an IP address of 192.168.10.1 and this one is not issuing any IP addresses.

Ideally I would have the second router set as a DHCP server as well but it won't issue the default gateway address of anything but itself and I need it to be the address of the primary router.

I'm using the second router to connect IPads and other mobile devices (but not laptops)

I read the article on connecting 2 router together but that didn't give any suggestions on this one issue.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have you tried plugging an ethernet cable into the second router and see if you get an IP address that way? It is possibly a wireless connection problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Could you confirm which port on the second router your homeplug is connected to? Have you tried connecting it to a different port?

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevie300online View Post
      Thanks for your quick response.

To confirm, the only static IP address are on the 2 routers. The one which is connected to the ADSL line is 192.168.10.254 and this is the only router issuing IP addresses (192.168.10.10 to 192.168.10.99 ). The second router used as a wifi extender has an IP address of 192.168.10.1 and this one is not issuing any IP addresses.

Ideally I would have the second router set as a DHCP server as well but it won't issue the default gateway address of anything but itself and I need it to be the address of the primary router.

I'm using the second router to connect IPads and other mobile devices (but not laptops)

I read the article on connecting 2 router together but that didn't give any suggestions on this one issue.
      Do the devices connected via the second router show as connected devices on the primary router. In my setup the additional routers are invisible to all the devices connected through them. for example my main PC is connected via a router in my living room which functions as a switch to supply Sky+HD box and smartTV, and an additional wifi access point too. Each of these devices cannot connect to the router in between and the Sky router upstairs doesn't show the router downstairs as a connected device. Both routers are connected via direct ethernet cable - the homeplug adaptors will be effectively the same.

I tried to setup the routers with IP addresses assigned by the primary router but I couldn't get this to work as it meant the devices on the other side couldn't "see" the primary router.

If it's not functioning this way then it is setup wrong. All my additional routers ( I have two setup this way) are cable type routers so it may be an issue with the adsl type of routers.