Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Telephone Problems

This is a discussion on Telephone Problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey, I just found this forum while searching Google so thought id drop in! Im currently having a problem with ...

Silicon0056 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Telephone Problems

Hey,

I just found this forum while searching Google so thought id drop in!

Im currently having a problem with my broadband in that when someone makes a phone call or someone calls us that the skybroadband speed goes way way way down to lower than 56gay (56k for the uneducated). Does anyone else have this problem, or know how to fix it?

Some Info:

I used to be on BT broadband 2mb with no problems with phone calls

Now on the SKY BB Mid package as i was told the max speed my line can do is 6mbps as i was origionally on the MAX package i downgraded to the MID (saw no point in using the connect as its the same speeds and limits but 12 a month more).

So far i have ran the TCP Optimizer which increased my noise margin to 11.1 (up 4) and made no change in my Line Attenuation which is at 45.4.

Im 1.4km from my local exchange which apparently has 32k people on it.

I plan on buying an XTE-2005 filtered socket from ADSL nation when they are available.

Thanks!

2. Advertisement
      spike7451 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Donaghadee
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Unplug all you're extensions & remove the LOWER half of the master socket to acces the test port.Plug ONLY the microfilter,phone & BBand box in there.Make a phonecall & check you're speed.If you still have the problem,try a different phone (especially if it's a hands free that takes the voltage from the phoneline & NOT a seperate mains supply) If it still happens,then it's you're line between the exchange & the master socket(pass to BT).If it does'nt happen,then it's a problem with you're extensions.Try a different filter.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Almost certainly you've got a dodgy filter on one of the phones or it is in the wrong place.

TCPOptomizer can't change your noise margin or your line attenuation!

A line attenuation of 45.4 gives you a potential connection of a little over 8meg.

You may be 1.4km from the exchange as the crow flies but your attenuation tells that your line is more like 3.25km long.

Getting a filtered faceplate can never hurt. You've not posted your router stats so it's not possible to guess the benefits - though from the fact you've noted a change of 4db in your noise margin (because you rebooted the router not TCPOptimizer) you may well have a noisy circuit. Clarity make a good one if you don't want to wait for ADSL nation.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok,

@spike7451: Ive done that and its not making a difference. The phone shouldnt be a problem as with BT i never had this problem and im using the same phone.

@Saturday: The change in noise and attenuation just seems to be from a change in speed, my router is currently connected at 8007kb and has a noise of 6 and a attenuation of 52.

Heres the full copy n paste:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1040 939 0 919 2778 00:04:59
      LAN 10M/100M 1533 1593 0 2867 971 00:06:25
      WLAN 11M/54M 53 0 0 45 0 00:06:15

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8007 kbps 385 kbps
      Line Attenuation 52.0 db 28.7 db
      Noise Margin 6.4 db 22.4 db

Im connected to the router through ethernet, the router goes into the only socket in the house (master socket) and its on an adsl splitter and for the phones its on a phone splitter since sky is plugged in aswell as the phone.

As my routers connection speed goes up the download speed goes down, what can i do to affect this?

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Actually it's the other way round. Your attenuation is largely fixed as it is mostly a function of your line length. The noise level on your line will vary through the day and be at its worst in the evenings. Your connection speed is dependant on your attenuation and the noise on your line.

Your router when booted will try to sync at the highest speed it can for the current level of noise plus a margin (the default is 6.9db). This noise margin is needed by the router to cope with changing noise conditions.

You are connecting at 8007 which is about right for your line attenuation. You may get a small boost with improvements to your wiring but it will be minimal.

Your noise margin is 6.4 which is OK. It probably would have been 6.9 if you'd looked a few seconds after the router was booted. If during the day the noise margin drops below 6 you may see some impact on your connection. Below 5 and you're in danger of losing it. If this happens post again or read up elsewhere on the forum for how to deal with this.

If you're seeing poorer downloads at higher connection speeds then this probably means the noise margin has dropped to 6 or below. The non technical way to fix this is to reboot your router when noise is at its highest (smallest noise margin), probably 8 or 9 in the evening. If you then leave your router powered up then this will be the lowest the noise margin will now drop to.

Alternatively you could ask Sky to cap your speed as you're having problems. My suggestion would be to fit a filtered faceplate first and see if that improves things.
      Last edited by Saturday; 22-10-06 at 01:37 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks,

Ill order a plate on 1st Nov then ill ask sky to cap me at 6mbps. One technician said they would switch me to adsl as i would be more likely to get my max speed by doing this, and it may fix my telephone problems, if the cap doesnt work ill ask them to do this.