Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Like Tree1Likes

Rein issue

This is a discussion on Rein issue within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Yes was just an enginner i told him this needs dealt with not just leave my line capped at 3meg ...

andy585 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irvine
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Re: Rein issue

Yes was just an enginner i told him this needs dealt with not just leave my line capped at 3meg so he phoned rein team who i think are based in glasgow i am the main point of contct so i will be asking alot of questions Lol

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The problem is that if the engineer comes during a relatively quiet period, he may find nothing wrong. Keep your router stats graphs to show him. A REIN trained engineer will be able to get more from these than a common or garden engineer.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

andy585 (12-09-13)

Thanks

i am pleased to announce that the REIN issue has been resolved it was a faulty PSU in another block of flats across the road i am now getting 7meg stable maybe a little more with tweaking
      so anyone reading this in the future and having a rein problem keep on at BT dont accept ''thats all we can do'' or ''we will cap your line'' rubbish

thanks to all the support guys also big thanks to gord
      Scubbie likes this.

gord.s is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEAW
      Broadband ISP: A&A ftw :)
      Router: pfsense+dlink-320b bridged non-sky ISP
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Yay - glad to hear you're sorted - PSUs can be a huge problem, they are plugged into the mains so the mains wiring becomes a large antenna for the noise, running loops around the buildings :/

Some PSUs are definitely better than others, for quietness at radio frequency noise it's hard to beat an old-fashioned big transformer and linear regulator. In the last two decades they have been replaced by switch-mode power supplies that can save power (and therefore reduce heat) and me more compact but are prone to making a lot of noise. They often affect upstream noise in the case of ADSL, especially affecting annex-M lines. That's because many of them switch at around 80-300kHz.
      If the manufacturers don't pay attention to the PCB design or components they can feed a large amount of noise into the wiring. They don't radiate so much from their own DC wire unless it's plugged into some device that also has a large extent of wiring connected to the DC chassis. That's because low frequencies require very long antennas to be effective radiators, though even short lengths can lead to annoying interference if there isn't much separation.

There's always the chance that whoever owns the device will wait a few days then plug it back in, so keep your eye on it for it re-occurring lol. You can sometime stop this by offering to contribute to the replacement cost as a friendly gesture and taking the offending article away in "part exchange". if you do that beware that you'll be blamed for anything that goes wrong with the item the PSU feeds for years to come though. Such is life.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gord.s View Post
      Yay - glad to hear you're sorted - PSUs can be a huge problem, they are plugged into the mains so the mains wiring becomes a large antenna for the noise, running loops around the buildings :/

Some PSUs are definitely better than others, for quietness at radio frequency noise it's hard to beat an old-fashioned big transformer and linear regulator. In the last two decades they have been replaced by switch-mode power supplies that can save power (and therefore reduce heat) and me more compact but are prone to making a lot of noise. They often affect upstream noise in the case of ADSL, especially affecting annex-M lines. That's because many of them switch at around 80-300kHz.
      If the manufacturers don't pay attention to the PCB design or components they can feed a large amount of noise into the wiring. They don't radiate so much from their own DC wire unless it's plugged into some device that also has a large extent of wiring connected to the DC chassis. That's because low frequencies require very long antennas to be effective radiators, though even short lengths can lead to annoying interference if there isn't much separation.

There's always the chance that whoever owns the device will wait a few days then plug it back in, so keep your eye on it for it re-occurring lol. You can sometime stop this by offering to contribute to the replacement cost as a friendly gesture and taking the offending article away in "part exchange". if you do that beware that you'll be blamed for anything that goes wrong with the item the PSU feeds for years to come though. Such is life.
      Reminds me of this

www.me.uk RevK's rants: It's REINing

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

@andy585: Do you know which kind of PSU or in which item it was being used?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

sorry no i have not been told what kind is was just told it was found and replaced

heres my stats on the 5th day of dlm

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7163 kbps 797 kbps
      Line Attenuation 52.0 dB 31.7 dB
      Noise Margin 4.3 dB 11.11 dB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There's a good chance it was one of the cheapo Apple adapters which have been causing lots of problems. Mobile phone chargers in general are known to cause interference in some conditions.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345