Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

BT Product Incompatibility?

This is a discussion on BT Product Incompatibility? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; An update - this may interest some people. Story so far: Ordered BB from Sky. Order rejected by BT because ...

le.bouch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kemptown, BRIGHTON
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

An update - this may interest some people.

Story so far:

Ordered BB from Sky. Order rejected by BT because of 'Product Incompatibility' - not told what/why exactly.

Rang BT BB Wholesale - they told me there must be an old BB 'tag' on the line from a previous ISP. Told them that the previous occupant was 85 and had lived there since 1946 so unlikely! Nobody laughed...

Sky put a new order in place with BT. Rejected again - same reason. Sky told me that the rejection was now due to a Sky 'tag' being left on the line from the 1st aborted order and that they would send an email to BT requesting a 'Cease' - only when the tag was removed would I be able to re-order through Sky.

Phoned BT BB Wholesale again. Very helpful guy. Told me that the 'product incompatibility' was - get this - because my phone line was recorded (wrongly) as being 'hard-wired', i.e the phone plugs directly into the line which goes out to the pole - no little white box! That was the product incompatibility because there would be no white box to plug the modem into!!! LOL!

BT says there are NO tags on the line, despite what Sky say.

Rang 150, they have updated their records to show that I do have a white box - this should update at midnight tonight. In theory, I should be able to call Sky tomorrow and re-order.

To be continued....

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Hmmm.

Ordered again with Sky.

Checked BT Landline Order Tracker thingy and there are two new orders on it, both placed today.
      One is the cease of hard-wired service (which I never had anyway) and provision of White Box.
      The other has no details avail but has an expected completion date of 3rd Nov. Could this possibly be, against all the odds, my activation date?
      Last edited by le.bouch; 26-10-06 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks

Hmmm Mk II.

When I placed the original order, both BT and Sky did a line check and said, based on my distance from the exchange, that I should get around 3MBit speed.
      Since BT changed the recorded status of my line from 'hard-wired' to 'white box', both Sky and BT say I should expect speeds of between .5 and 1 MBit!! What gives - they haven't actually changed anything physical, as far as I know?
      If I do a check based on my postcode, or using a neighbour's number, it reports back as 3MBit again... Are the line tests actually real or should I hope that the first tests are still valid?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12