Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Dongle

This is a discussion on Wireless Dongle within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; How do I get my wireless connection to connect? I bought a BlueNEXT USB adapter + driver, and installed it. ...

ajm600 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless Dongle

How do I get my wireless connection to connect? I bought a BlueNEXT USB adapter + driver, and installed it. Then I took off the yellow ethernet cable from the Netgear router and tried to make a wireless connection by clicking left and right on every icon in sight. Nothing works, and Windows cannot solve my problem. Once I got a screen inviting me to put in my network key (which I have, of course), and I was very excited for a moment, but this screen only appeared once when the dongle was disconnected and it told me that I would have to retype it later. It has never reappeared. Where am I going wrong? Sigh..........

2. Advertisement
      iannufc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Jarrow (NEJW)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      You need to right-click the wireless network connection icon in either control panel, or in your taskbar. When you've done this, click 'Search for available wireless networks'. It should find your network as 'SKY******'. Highlight that, and choose 'Connect'. It *should* then ask you for your key, connect, and bob's your uncle.

Common reasons for non-communication can be found in the wireless dongle software settings. For example, it may have found another wireless network in your area, and have that one set as default. It may also be searching on another channel other than channel 11, which is what you should be searching on.

Hope any of that helps!

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that, but this does not work. When I right click on wireless network connection, a window appears which says: "windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have enabled another program to manage this wireless connection, use that software" As far as I am aware I have not enabled any other program except to install the adapter driver itself. Perhaps this was a mistake, but I have installed/removed/reinstalled the drivers several times, and tried every combination I can think of, but nothing works. And I have never seen the window asking for the network key again.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      @ajm Did the card you installed, on the disc have a software program on it as well as the drivers?

Explore the disc and install the software and try it again

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

dada is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      what computer are you using? might want ot try using WEP encryption, or check adapter if the driver is installed properly.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Your concern for my plight is very touching. How exactly I have done it after so much striving I don't know, but the fact is that I AM NOW WIRELESS!!
      It seems that in order to rouse the capture mode I had to exit from the dongle icon on the task bar - and all was well. The long-lost window with the network key request appeared and this time I was ready.
      The whole thing seemed to be counter intuitive, rather like pushing the stick forward when diving to break the sound barrier. But it worked.

Thank you all for your interest.