Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Speed difference between speedtest and router statistics?

This is a discussion on Speed difference between speedtest and router statistics? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; OK, I've uncovered access to the master socket and it looks nothing like the master socket shown on the instructions ...

Claremac is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01737
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Speed difference between speedtest and router statistics?

OK, I've uncovered access to the master socket and it looks nothing like the master socket shown on the instructions at How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket. Mine looks like this:

Speed difference between speedtest and router statistics?-phone-socket.jpg

Sorry for the rubbish picture but hopefully you can see what it looks like. I'm not sure what this means. The house was only built 3 years ago so I assumed it would have the master socket as described.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Unfortunately that is a multi outlet socket, not a standard master. If you are sure that it is the master socket, plug the router into it using only the filter and ADSL cable supplied by Sky. When you do this remove everything else you have plugged into the phone sockets and take your stats.

It is possible if you are in a new build that you have an XNTE, which will be on the outside of your house, or in a service cupboard if you are in a flat. If that is the case you will not have an internal master socket, all you can do is find the first socket on the circuit and treat that as the master.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

There is what I assume is an XNTE on the front of the house, directly in line with the socket I photographed so that at least confirms it is the master socket which is what I was told by the electrician who wired it. I have turned off the 2 homeplugs I use and the router is plugged in to the router via a double filter which also usually has a phone plugged in but I have temporarily removed that.

The stats now are

System Up Time: 42:25:47
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 3672849 7088821 0 0 0 42:24:22
      LAN 6309635 3336390 0 0 0 42:25:47
      WLAN 1012387 525670 0 58 0 42:25:22
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 12284 kbps 1023 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.0 db 13.4 db
      Noise Margin 6.8 db 1.5 db

I have been running the Speedtest on this site several times today and have been getting around 7Mbps each time. I use Inssider and this is what made me change channels to the least congested one around here.

Does this help in any way? Thanks again for your help.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been a bit busy. Apart from the downstream noise margin that is a bit better, but not greatly so. Can you open up the master socket and see if there is a wire connected to terminal 3. If there is pull it off, this is the 'ring' wire and is not needed with most modern phones or when you are using suitable micro filters. When you have done that take your stats again.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Just packing to go on holiday so will do as you suggest when I get back in a couple of weeks. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12