Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help setting up ASUS N66u and TP-Link 8840T with Sky (Double NAT problem)

This is a discussion on Help setting up ASUS N66u and TP-Link 8840T with Sky (Double NAT problem) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Not sure if this is the right place to post for this sort of help so move it if you ...

Dibbz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Help setting up ASUS N66u and TP-Link 8840T with Sky (Double NAT problem)

Not sure if this is the right place to post for this sort of help so move it if you need to.

So atm I have a setup of 8840T connecting to the phone line and with an ethernet connected from that into the WAN of the N66u. Both have DHCP enabled and I'm certain this is a double NAT environment since the ASUS is displaying a 192.168.0.xxx WAN IP

I've tried to set the 8840T up into bridge mode but when I do that the ASUS N66U can't get an Internet connection. Now I think the problem is that whilst the TP-Link is able to handle PPPoA which I use, the ASUS only has the option for PPPoE. I can't seem to find much information on my situation so any help will do even if it is just pointing me in the right direction.

Is there a solution around this? Maybe some way to get it so that I am no longer in a double nat situation with the same hardware?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Help setting up ASUS N66u and TP-Link 8840T with Sky (Double NAT problem)

I think the only way to get round the double NAT completely would be to connect to an ethernet port in the Asus instead of the WAN port. Disable the DHCP in the Asus and allow the TP to act as the DHCP server. In this configuration having both routers acting as the DHCP server is liable to cause IP conflicts. Have a read of these threads and see if they help.
      How to connect two Routers together

Using the DLink DIR613.

PPPoA does not enter into it as it is only used by the router connected direct to the internet.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sounds simple enough, I'll give it a go and see what happens.

I was referring to when the TP Link is in Bridge Mode with regards to the PPPoA info. Since bridge mode doesn't allow you to configure any login settings the ASUS would take over that side of things right? But the problem is the ASUS doesn't have a PPPoA setting only PPPoE so it can't connect from what I tried.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So I tried that and it's not 100% how I would like it to be.

The ideal way to set all of this up would be to have the 8840T in bridge and let the N66U handle everything else right? When I try to bridge the 8840T and connect it to the ASUS I do seem to get an internet connection but windows tells me I need to enter some login details which makes sense since the 8840T does not have the details. Problem is I can't enter the PPPoA info into the ASUS because there is no option for it. Only PPPoE and a couple other types. The details I have don't seem to work in any other them.

Right now I have the N66u setup as an Access Point so the 8840T is handling everything whilst the N66u is simply distributing it across my network, at least that is what I think is happening. This seems like a huge waste though since the ASUS is meant to be a great router and relegating it to handle none of that seems pointless.

Seems like I'm just stuck because of limitations with the hardware, unless I am missing something. Any advice? Maybe I need a modem that will be able to bridge whilst letting me enter PPPoA details and then convert it over to something the ASUS can read. Does anything like that exist?

Thanks

The problem is that the Asus N66u is not an ADSL router, it can only connect to the internet through another router or a standalone modem. If your TP router can be put into Modem only mode, that would be your best bet with what you have. It is the only way you will get the full benefit of the Asus, unless you set it up something like described here. Using the DLink DIR613. This would mean you would still have double NAT but it should not really matter. You would have a completely separate network, with the Asus handling its own DHCP server and firewall.

I do seem to get an internet connection but windows tells me I need to enter some login details which makes sense since the 8840T does not have the details.
      What details do you mean? You should have the Sky username and password entered in it or you will not connect to the internet.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I tried to set the TP-Link in Bridge mode for that reason. So that it could pass on the connection to the ASUS since that is only a router not modem but when in Bridge mode on the TP-Link I'm not able to enter any login details for the ISP. On the ASUS side of things I can only enter PPPoE and the details don't seem to work there, since I think Sky requires PPPoA.

Is there anything I could have missed?

Thanks

To get a connection to the internet you will have to select PPP over ATM(PPPoA), you will not be able to connect with any other option. Bridging Mode allows you to connect to another router, not the internet. Your other settings should be VCI = 0, VPI = 38, Encapsulation = VC-MUX.

I am pretty sure if you connect the Asus as shown in the link you will get a result. If the TP Link's IP address is 192.168.1.1, give the Asus a fixed address of 192.168.1.254, subnet 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.1.1. Put the fixed address in the TP's DMZ. Make the DHCP range of the Asus 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Ciren Jules is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01285
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ASUS N66U
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone had read the thread which I posted after many hours of playing around with this modem and the ASUS router?

TP TD-8817 with ASUS N66U on Sky DSL - Summary of Findings...

Having just skimmed down the thread, here are a few basic statements:

1. the TP-TD 8817 is a 'cheap-as-chips' 15 modem and basic router
      2. the ASUS is a top-of-the-range router (with no modem capability)
      3. all dedicated routers like the N66U don't connect via PPOA (plse don't confuse dedicated router with an adsl gateway or HomeHub which combine the modem & router in one box) but routers offer other methods such as PPOE
      4. You CAN configure the 8817 to connect to Sky via PPOA then from the 8817 ethernet port to the ASUS WAN port (see my thread on how to do this). This works fine but has at least 4 limitations: 1) there is double-NAT'ing, once on the 8817 and again on the ASUS and 2) gaming can be an issue and 3) you can't use the advanced features of the ASUS as it is never visible on the Internet and 4) using services like OpenDNS for filtering isn't effective as every time the public IP address changes, the ASUS can't automatically pick-up the new IP to forward onto OpenDNS.
      5. Essentially, the 8817 acts as a DHCP server to give the ASUS a private IP address on its WAN Port. The ASUS also does DHCP - this time to the wired and wireless clients which connect e.g. laptops/PC's/tablets/smartphones etc etc
      6. >> You CAN'T bridge the 8817 between PPOA (on the modem) and PPOE (on the router) << This is functionality which does NOT come with this cheap modem/router. If your ISP - like Sky connect via PPOA then the only configuration (imo) is as described in 4. above
      7. I could not get the 8817 to ASUS LAN Port working. The ASUS expects it's connection via the WAN port.
      8. The easy, easy easy answer is spend 50 (BT online Store) on the Draytek modem-only device which DOES automatically bridge between its PPOA and the ASUS router's PPOE. Plug the Draytek to the phone line, ethernet Port to the WAN port on the ASUS, ASUS in PPOE mode with your Sky Broadband user name and password and you're away! :-)) The ASUS WAN port will show the public IP address assigned by Sky, make sure the ASUS firewall is on etc etc and it's good-to-go.
      9. In summary, please don't bin the ASUS. It's a brilliant brilliant device with great wireless coverage, especially if you flash the firmware with Merlin's latest build ;-) [Keep your laptop/PC/tablet etc device naming convention simple and no funny characters, punctuation etc. as I found it sometimes affects the page display.] Best either a) put up with double-Nat'ing and its limitations or b) put your hand in your pocket for the Draytek, it too is an excellent modem. Together, for Sky users, the Draytek + ASUS is a winning combination.

Hope that helps - if anyone has any questions, please let me know.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ciren Jules For This Useful Post:

mikey808 (03-02-14)

mikey808 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMATLO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Draytek Vigor 120 + Asus N66U
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for your two posts regarding this, even though they were a while back. They were very useful.