Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

SR101 Wi-Fi protected set up

This is a discussion on SR101 Wi-Fi protected set up within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I recently coerced Sky into sending me a new SR101 Sky Hub to replace my ageing Sagem F@ST 2504g router. ...

Jaheira is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Abergavenny
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

SR101 Wi-Fi protected set up

I recently coerced Sky into sending me a new SR101 Sky Hub to replace my ageing Sagem F@ST 2504g router.

Now I've read about Wi-Fi protected set up and how it can be cracked in under 4 hours, I'm starting to wish I hadn't bothered! I haven't taken the new router put of the box yet. Is there a way to disable WPS with this router? If not, then it's staying in its package! My current WPA2 passphrase is 18 characters long and uses upper and lower case, numbers and special characters. I'm certainly not about to entrust my network security to a 4 and 3 digit number followed by a checksum, giving only 11,000 combinations. Whoever thought up this steaming pile of cack needs to be shot!

2. Advertisement
      tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: SR101 Wi-Fi protected set up

wps can be switched off under wireless settings just another example of manufacturers and company jumping on new toys bandwagon

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

This was raised early on in the beta group for the SR101.

There is a mechanism in place to prevent the attack via WPS from working easily.

Essentially if someone tries to use the wrong code too many times, the WPS is locked out for a period of time.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Now I've read about Wi-Fi protected set up and how it can be cracked in under 4 hours
      This was true in the early versions of WPS, but router manufacturers have now built in safeguards to prevent easy cracking. This involves blocking the router for up to an hour after about 3 to 5 unsuccessful attempts. It can still be cracked, but it could take 2-5 months, not the few hours possible with no protection. The best advice still remains, if you don't need it, disable it.

Just had a look and I don't think it is possible to turn off WPS, apart from disabling the wireless, which is not much good.
      Last edited by Isitme; 29-07-13 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Add info

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Yes it can be disabled:

http://192.168.0.1/sky_wireless_settings.html

Scroll down to the 'Wireless Access Point' group of settings and untick the box beside 'Enable WPS'.

As we have hopefully explained, it is pretty hard to hack the router via WPS now.

Personally I would say that the weakess point is the default WiFi password. This is still a set of 8 capital letters for ALL Sky routers. I highly recommend changing this with all new Sky routers to something less obvious.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I should go to Specsavers, I only looked at the WPS part at the bottom where you would expect the enable/disable button to be.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

No problem, easily missed.

Jaheira is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Abergavenny
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Personally I would say that the weakess point is the default WiFi password. This is still a set of 8 capital letters for ALL Sky routers. I highly recommend changing this with all new Sky routers to something less obvious.
      You're not wrong there Scubbie!

If a cracker notices a router with an SSID starting SKY, then in most cases it'll have an 8 digit network key of 8 upper case alphas. 26 raised to the power 8 = ~200 billion = a few hours with a top of the range GPU.

I always stop my router from broadcasting its SSID (yes, I know you can still find hidden networks, but it says 'don't bother trying to crack me I know what I'm doing - move along!') and beef up the network key so that it's considerably longer and contains at least one number, upper case, lower case and special character. If Sky just made the default key 12 characters long and a combination of cases, numbers and special characters, it'd be virtually uncrackable.