Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Solved! The mystery of missing web pages....look in..

This is a discussion on Solved! The mystery of missing web pages....look in.. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, After being connected on Thursday, I have become more and more frustrated by the missing pages on sky. Been ...

thewarden is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hunslet - Leeds
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Solved! The mystery of missing web pages....look in..

Hi,

After being connected on Thursday, I have become more and more frustrated by the missing pages on sky.

Been at it for 3 hours this morning and have found away around it (until sky sort it out)

It seems its down to the proxy server used. By the way, I dont claim to be technical but can tell you this : if you go here http://www.freeproxyserver.net/ or one of the thousands of sites like it you just tap in the name of your site and the server will retrieve it for you.

It can be a bit slow, depends which free proxy site you are using, but will definatley retrieve the site you are trying to view.

Further to this, I just downloaded a program that bypasses the sky server (I think) and logs straight on to free proxy servers without the need to go through a specific Freeproxysite. Im not sure if I can give the name of the program or its location but It works a treat - its like having a true broadband service again.

Anyway in summation, if Ive worked this out in my pyjamas this morning, then why the hell havent sky???????

Mods, if anyone needs the program, am I allowed to post details?

2. Advertisement
      garyb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peterborough Central
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Morning thewarden,
      Thats spot on, and should work on all internet proxies as they request the page on your behalf. Not sure if you were aware, but the issue seems to be that Sky were assigned a previously unused range of IP addresses, that were unrecognised by many servers around the world. As the weeks go by, these servers are updated with Sky's range, hence sites becoming available. Because the proxy server does not have a Sky address it can access most pages requested on you behalf.

Well done, and happy browsing, Im sure you wont need these proxies in a few weeks..

G

deano_uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wickersley
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Thats a geat find.... well done.

I only lost access to one site in my move to sky so I can get back on that I'm sorted.

Have to say after the initial 10 days of pain I'm now very pleased with my SKY service