Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help regarding DML with my Sky Broadband.

This is a discussion on Help regarding DML with my Sky Broadband. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, this is my first post, so bear with me. D: Basically, I recently purchased Sky Broadband Unlimited which came ...

Marcus121 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Help regarding DML with my Sky Broadband.

Hi, this is my first post, so bear with me. D:

Basically, I recently purchased Sky Broadband Unlimited which came in a package from Sky. It includes land line and TV.

Anyway, I used to have 02 Broadband, which wasn't very good as it would give me (download) speeds up to 5mb, but it was reliable. I upgraded to Sky Broadband Unlimited which, as you all know, gives a speed up to 16mb. My Broadband got activated just today, and taking into account I had no idea what to do, it gave me a speed of up to 4mb. I was shocked, but then I learnt about something called DML, and understood the process. Within this process, I was told not to turn off my Router, but that was a little too late as I've accidentally switched off/reset my Router numerous times. I just wanted to ask, will this affect my speed in the future? Or, will it affect the process of DML? Thanks.

Also, regarding another matter, if DML is successful, up to what speed can I get? Here are the Router statistics:

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4088 kbps 605 kbps
      Line Attenuation 42.5 dB 24.2 dB
      Noise Margin 6.0 dB 16.16 dB

Thank you for reading, help would be appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Help regarding DML with my Sky Broadband.

It does not look like DLM has started on your line yet, it can take up to 3 days to get going.

Your figures don't look very good. For the speed you are syncing at now you would expect a higher noise margin, meaning there is not a lot of room for improvement. If you have a Test socket, plug the router into it using only the ADSL cable supplied by Sky and post your stats from there.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

When the faceplate is removed to expose the Test socket, check that any other phone sockets you have are dead.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It does not look like DLM has started on your line yet, it can take up to 3 days to get going.

Your figures don't look very good. For the speed you are syncing at now you would expect a higher noise margin, meaning there is not a lot of room for improvement. If you have a Test socket, plug the router into it using only the ADSL cable supplied by Sky and post your stats from there.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

When the faceplate is removed to expose the Test socket, check that any other phone sockets you have are dead.
      I used the master socket for the 02 Broadband, and I just unplugged that and put in the Sky one, so I guess I'm using the master socket now. :/

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You could end up with a speed of 6-9Mbps with the line attenuation you have. Let DLM run over the next 10 days or so and monitor your line.

Thanks

I used the master socket for the 02 Broadband, and I just unplugged that and put in the Sky one, so I guess I'm using the master socket now. :/
      May I point out that the Master socket is not the Test socket. Can you follow the link and confirm that you are plugged into the Test socket and none of your other sockets are live and that you are not using a telephone extension cable to connect the router? If you only received 5Mb with O2 and you are plugged into the Test socket, then something is amiss with your line. With your attenuation you should have had nearly double that.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      May I point out that the Master socket is not the Test socket. Can you follow the link and confirm that you are plugged into the Test socket and none of your other sockets are live and that you are not using a telephone extension cable to connect the router? If you only received 5Mb with O2 and you are plugged into the Test socket, then something is amiss with your line. With your attenuation you should have had nearly double that.
      Yep, I'm pretty sure it's connected to the master socket. I removed the face plate, and inserted the filter into it. I then connected the telephone line, and the grey wire thing to the filter (sorry, I don't know much about this stuff.)

Thanks

If you removed the faceplate then you are in the Test socket, if you have no extensions or the ones you have are dead, then you have a poor line. As you are, I doubt if you will see much more than 5-6Mb.

TomD

Useful Utilites