Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Unusually high Packet Loss

This is a discussion on Unusually high Packet Loss within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey everyone, usually I'd Introduce myself before asking for help but I'm trying to post this before my internet disconnects ...

Shadstar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Middlesex
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Unusually high Packet Loss

Hey everyone, usually I'd Introduce myself before asking for help but I'm trying to post this before my internet disconnects for the 10000th time...

I have been a sky customer for roughly 6 years and ever since moving to this house 2 years ago, I've had issues with the broadband. My speeds are above average for my area (around 18Mb/s on ADSL) and I am happy with most of what I am getting. However, more recently especially, I've been getting weird drops in connection and unusually high packet loss.

Details of my router:

Manufacturer Sagemcom
      Model Number F@ST2504n
      Firmware Version 6.14.6a4N_UNI
      ADSL Firmware Version A2pD038m.d24h

DownStream Connection Speed 15285 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 736 kbps

I currently have 3~5 devices attached to the device, 4 of which are wireless (Smartphones, iPod touch and a laptop). My desktop is connected via a standard RJ45 Cable provided by Sky. The problem usually occurs when I begin playing games. As an avid gamer, this is an issue I want to resolve quickly. I will play a few rounds of Counter Strike, and after about 5~10 minutes, my Packet Loss will rise to about 90% (using the in-game indicator to check this) and I will lose connection. All the lights on my router are still green and I reconnect within 3~5 seconds, then disconnect again. This process usually happens for about 20 minutes before the internet is stable again.

I have called sky many times about this and they have got me to repeat the same tests over and over and it's beginning to become a joke. Their customer service is amazing at times but when it comes to my internet it seems they don't want to go further than "have you tried turning it off and on"

Things that I have tried of my own accord:
      Replacing both ADSL filters (Router is in a different room to phone)
      Using Wifi on my PC and plugging Phone/Router in same room to see if the socket was an issue
      Replacing ALL cables including power cable/RJ45/ADSL Cable
      Replacing phone
      Replaced Extention cable which I used to bring the router nearer to my computer.
      using different computer to connect to the internet
      Scanning my computer for viruses (none found using 3 different antiviruses (Avast!, AVG & Spybot S&D)

Things I am willing to try:
      Re-installing windows
      Replacing phone sockets
      Buying my Own router / upgrading to Sky Hub

Unusually high Packet Loss-3efox.jpg
      Above is the current noise margin for my internet. I monitored this for 3 or 4 hours when problems were occurring and the figures were changing on a 2 minute basis (Noise Margins). I have been trying to get them to send an engineer out to get this fixed for about 3 months now but to no avail...I don't really want to switch provider since we've been with them for so long but if it's something that they aren't willing to fix it may be the only option I have.

Thank you in advance for any help that anyone can provide and If you need more information then just ask! I would really like to get this fixed ASAP.

Regards

Shad.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Unusually high Packet Loss

Ok after reading through your post you appear to be having connection issues, rather than packet loss.

Could I ask you to post the full connection stats please? The image is useful, but I would like to see the 'up times' to see if the issue is with the connection or with the router.

Another thing to ask is if you have every performed a 'quite line test'.

Ideally this should be done with a corded telephone plugged in the Test Socket. If you can dial '1' and listen carefully for any noise, particularly clicking or a loud hissing noise.

What I am thinking is that either there is an issue with the router or that there is a line being brushed by a tree or something else, hence wanting to see the 'up times'.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your upload speed in particular is quite low, this suggests a line problem. Could you plug into your Test socket, using only the ADSL cable supplied by Sky and post your stats from there. This will rule out or confirm an internal wiring problem.

How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

If you do not have a Test socket, remove everything you have plugged into the phone circuit and plug the router only into the Master socket, again using only the ADSL cable supplied by Sky and post the results.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Shadstar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Middlesex
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

I forgot to mention, I had used the test socket for about 2 weeks before reconnecting the faceplate (After asking sky if it was ok to do so) and there were no problems during that time. Today, I phoned sky once again and told them everything posted here. They have sent out another ADSL Cable and have offered me a router upgrade if I pay for postage & packaging (Which I will most likely take up).

I have been through 3 of these Sagemcom Routers since they first released them and I'm hoping that the Sky Hub will be better. The person I spoke to made me test both the ADSL cables I have and confirmed that the fault was either with the router or the ADSL cable(s) which I was using.

I've also been promised an increase in speeds since my area's average is 19Mb/s and I'm on 15Mb/s. all in all, I think they've dealt with it well enough!

Thank you for your replies and attempt to help me, if the new equipment doesn't work then this'll be the first place I'll ask! And I apologise if I've wasted anyone's time.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I forgot to mention, I had used the test socket for about 2 weeks before reconnecting the faceplate (After asking sky if it was ok to do so) and there were no problems during that time.
      I think that confirms it is your internal wiring which is causing the problem, nothing to do with the ADSL cable. Your best bet would be to fit and use a filtered faceplate, or the latest vDSL plate.

Can you plug into your Test socket anyway and post your stats for future reference?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.