Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

3dB Noise Margin

This is a discussion on 3dB Noise Margin within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok, so I need help understanding the noise margin. Everywhere I look, people are saying that a higher noise margin ...

nellisere is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMBOSTO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

3dB Noise Margin

Ok, so I need help understanding the noise margin. Everywhere I look, people are saying that a higher noise margin is better, so why are Sky settings people to 3dB? I had DLM run in February, and that set me to 3dB noise margin, I haven't really had any problems with it, but I just need some more help understand if 3dB is great, or if it isn't.
      Thanks

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: 3dB Noise Margin

The lower the noise margin, the higher the potential speeds.
      With it though comes a potentially higher error rate.

DLM only applies a 3db noise margin to lines that are good enough to handle it & where the resultant error count is acceptable.

The difference between 3 & 6db usually means about 2mbps, so if you have 20mb now, you'd probably only get 18mb at 6db.

nellisere is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMBOSTO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Ahh I see. I was on 6dB I think with 13Mbps sync speeds, got to 15.5Mbps sync speeds with 3dB. Thanks for that, was just worried because everyone was saying a higher noise margin is better.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

People may be referring to the increased stability from fewer errors that a higher margin gives.

DLM seems to be quite strict regarding the quality of line it will apply 3db to though, so i wouldn't be concerned about yours.

It recently retrained my line & tried 3db for 24 hours on 2 occasions while it was running.
      Despite experiencing no problems & ending up with an amazing 22mbps, on both occasions it deemed my line to be unsuitable & reverted to 6db.

Here's my day by day account of DLM training which finished yesterday:
      Loving the new DLM