Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Well done Sky! Happy customer!!

This is a discussion on Well done Sky! Happy customer!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just a quickie to share my good news and a couple of broadband questions? I have been umming and arring ...

daddyp81 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Well done Sky! Happy customer!!

Just a quickie to share my good news and a couple of broadband questions?

I have been umming and arring about upgrading to fibre since i moved to Sky broadband from O2 in Dec 2012. The installation fee of 50 was the prohibitive factor. I rang up today and enquired directly with the 'fibre team' about if they could waive the fee in order to secure my business.

The very helpful lady from Sky suggested that she was under the impression that all 50 installation fees for fibre set up were about to be scrapped anytime soon. She instantly waived the 50 fee, waived the free P&P on the hub and also, without being prompted, cut the fee from 20 pcm to 10 pcm for the first 3 months! Needless to say i snapped her hand off and have an install date on 16/7/13.

Just a couple of questions i forgot to ask.

1) as an upgrade will my sky unlimited broadband be discontinued?

2) i already have an SR101 sky hub, is the new one different for fibre?

3) could i ebay it or keep as spare?

I currently get 4.1meg down and 0.5 up with a ping of 50ms. Sky have said i may get about 14.3 down on FTTC, hopefully i will!!

Cheers

Andy

2. Advertisement
      mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Well done Sky! Happy customer!!

1. You'll move from 'sky unlimited' to 'sky fibre unlimited'. Your ADSL connection will cease to work as you will be connected up to the fibre infrastructure.

2. I think your current Sky Hub will work with fibre, assuming it has the most up to date firmware.

3. Depends on your needs. Personally, i'd keep it as a spare or use it to extend your wireless coverage if needed.

Make sure you know where you want to locate your modem and Sky hub as the modem will need to be plugged in to the master socket for fibre.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If Sky supplied you with it they will know you have the latest hub, so you don't need an upgrade for Fibre. A new one may not be sent out. All SR101s are capable of fibre connection, the firmware is irrelevant. Sky are a lot more careful now than they used to be when replacing broadband equipment.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Fair enough regards the extra SR101, i would have no use for it anyway. I have just bought an apple AEBS which im using in bridge mode with wifi disabled on the SR101.

The SR101 is by the master socket in an upstairs bedroom, i have the AEBS in the lounge connected via homeplug and broadcasting wifi.

I cant see what the benefits of replacing the SR101 directly with AEBS with fibre unless it would sync higher?

Shonk is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Thanks

Make sure openreach match your modem to your dslam you will sync faster
      someone yesterday who was mis matched

59 meg 13meg mismatched
      63 meg 18meg when he replaced the openreach modem (and dlm will most prob speed it up in a few days as he is most prob capped at a max sync of 63 atm)

Thanks

I cant see what the benefits of replacing the SR101 directly with AEBS with fibre unless it would sync higher?
      The AEBS has far faster dual band wireless which the Hub does not have. It also has gigabit ports, a USB port and has guest wireless available, none of which the Hub has. I don't think there is any comparison really.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Regards 'Make sure openreach match your modem to your dslam you will sync faster'

Apologies, but how do i do this? Ask the engineer when hes at my house?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The AEBS has far faster dual band wireless which the Hub does not have. It also has gigabit ports, a USB port and has guest wireless available, none of which the Hub has. I don't think there is any comparison really.
      Yes i know this, i am taking advantage of the dual band wifi and guest network already with it in bridge mode. Unless it actually syncs faster than the SR101 i cant see any point in changing the way i have it setup now?

Thanks

Not sure what you mean. If it is getting the correct Modem then yes, ask the engineer. If it is connecting the AEBS then you will find instructions on this forum on how to do this. The engineer will not do it.

After your edit, yes ask the engineer if he can match the modem to the DSLAM

The advantage is you will only be running one device instead of 2 and will not have any problems with double NAT.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Shonk is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Thanks

when openreach come to fit the openreach modem
      ask him if the dslam is eci or huawei or go take a photo of it and i will tell you

then ensure he gives you an eci modem if its eci etc..

they tried mismatching me but i promptly sent him back to the van for a matched modem
      he also tried telling me the huawei modem was better yer whatever get back in the van nub

Left to right

ECI, Huawei Small, Huawei Large
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Well done Sky! Happy customer!!-eci.jpg   Well done Sky! Happy customer!!-huawei-small.jpg   Well done Sky! Happy customer!!-huawei-large.jpg  
      Last edited by Shonk; 02-07-13 at 05:59 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ah i see, many thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast