Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

wrong information for distance to exchange

This is a discussion on wrong information for distance to exchange within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all thankyou for any info you can help me with my question is if the information held of the ...

friarspit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

wrong information for distance to exchange

Hello all thankyou for any info you can help me with

my question is if the information held of the distance between my house and the nearest exchange is wrong on a like the tool like the one at SkyUser - Sky Broadband Availability and Exchange Checker is that information used by sky when determing what my line speed should be set too.

it states a direct distance of 150 miles to my nearest exchange which is wrong by far. it says its on queensway in winsford-somerset, while i live in winsford cheshire and my nearest being on queensway parade at aprox a mile away from my home, so it states an extra 149 miles difference

thankyou for any help

p bishop

wrong information for distance to exchange-wrong.jpgwrong information for distance to exchange-2.jpgwrong information for distance to exchange-ewqeqwe.jpg

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: wrong information for distance to exchange

Check you have entered the correct information, this is obviously wrong. Probably a mix up with Post Codes. Apart from anything else, you would not be able to get broadband at all over that distance, never mind the 7.5/2Mb estimate given. This has nothing to do with the speed quoted by Sky which is based on your actual line performance. If the 3rd graphic is correct, I would think about 12-16Mb would be about right.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

hi thankyou for answering. i can only guess that the tool uses the town name more in the equation as i live in winsford cheshire in the north west and it see's my home correctly but its getting the nearest exchange as another winsford in somerset, south of the uk.. you have the got the estimated speed spot on but recently my speed dropped by a big amount, guess im trying to clutch straws.lol

heres my router stats if you would be so kind to have a look and let me know what you think

thankyou

wrong information for distance to exchange-capture.jpg

ive made sure i entered the correct details.see following pic,my post code is there and also the postal code of the exchange it gives me

wrong information for distance to exchange-captur77.jpg

ive done test on sites like pingtest.com and it gives me an A rating so it seems theres no packet loss and ive tried the phone line noise/echo test (17070 or similar number) and it says theres no echo and noise. i also do quite a lot of online gaming (battleifield bad company 2) liveforspeed) and rarely suffer issues but occasional disconnect. im on the sky unlimited package also. so i cant understand why my speed dropped from my previous 11mb speed to the current 4mb

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I see that your routers up time is only 22 minutes. Did you reboot it or did it reboot automatically? If the latter it may be that DLM has been restarted. See if it reboots again in the early hours of tomorrow morning and if it does whether or not there in an increase in download speed.

Thanks

It looks like you are on the start speeds for DLM. Has your line recently been moved on to the SVBN? This would trigger a retrain of the line. It looks good for 15-16Mb.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

hello guys the reason it said 22 mins for uptime was because i had restarted my router. my speed went low a little while ago and we assumed it was something wrong on our cabling somewhere but i dont know if this is a coincedence but i ended up having an error on my pc today which turned out to be one of my 2gb ddr2 sticks was faulty and after removing that i noticed an increase in the download speed and better stats in the router info.

its probably just coincedental as i dont know if or how it could effect it.but heres what my stats currently say

wrong information for distance to exchange-capture.jpg

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

The faulty RAM would not affect the router connection statistics, but could affect a speedtest.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Certainly better than the previous stats. I would try not to reboot your router for a few days and see if there is further improvement.

Thanks

You have re-synced in the early hours, between 2 and 3 AM this indicates you are on DLM training. Do not restart your router in any way or it may effect the final result. Your attenuation looks good for 16-18Mb.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks guys,,yeah ive just checked on my sky account and its changed from the original date when i first got broadband in 2011 to the following message

Your Connection Details

Testing on your broadband connection began on 26/05/2013 (now notice it says it started last month-but this message only appeared today) and will be completed within 10 days.

You may notice some variations in your broadband speed and this is normal. We are aiming to give you the best quality experience. Please leave your router on during this time.

Check back here to confirm the maximum speeds supported by your connection

thankyou for all the help and info i appreciate it

@mattan - Hello how are you ,im envious of the stats of your connection. i wish they would put fibre in where i live but i dont think its planned for anywhere in the near future..even though mine is not too bad for the gaming i do online(live for speed racing sim) and bfbc2/bf3(more noticeable that i have a slowish connection at times)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast