Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow Internet

This is a discussion on Slow Internet within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ugh I just typed out this whole thing before and lost it when the connection dropped while trying to post ...

Suphix is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unhappy Slow Internet

Ugh I just typed out this whole thing before and lost it when the connection dropped while trying to post

So a couple weeks ago I started getting problems where my router wouldn't be able to connect to the internet and the internet light would be completely blank. Then randomly it would start working again and work fine, it would go through this a couple times a day. Then like 2 days ago the internet light is green and it says that it is connected but no devices can connect to the internet through it at all (laptop, desktop, ps3) and it was like this all day, now today it is doing the same except I can connect to the internet but the connection is veryyyyyyyy slow. I tried downloading something in google chrome and it says that it's 1,6xx bps download speed.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 32975 41332 0 973 9693 01:09:40
      LAN 100M/Full 2279 131 0 104 4 01:11:08
      WLAN 11M/54M 49478 48329 0 8378 1501 01:10:56
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3942 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 54 db 32 db
      Noise Margin 6 db 7 db

These are my stats. Idk what I'm doing so try to keep the jargon to a minimum, I know some of the basics from doing A-level computer science but barely remember any of it. Hopefully this actually posts this time.

2. Advertisement
      dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Re: Slow Internet

It looks like you are connected at ~ 4Mbit/s down 800Kbps up so whilst not the worlds fastest connection it should be usable for most things.

Are you using Wi-Fi or a wired connection.

Also are you able to plugin in just a phone and dial 17070 and use the option for quiet line test (if there is one on sky, it's option 2 on BT but I can't remember if skys line test system gives the option)

The line should be quiet other than possibly the odd voice stating quiet line test (I thought i'd mention it as it's been known to surprise people)

Ideally the test wants to be done with a standard phone as DECT handsets tend to filter out the noise.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I don't really know what wires do what in my house cos the socket is downstairs and the router upstairs so it kinda confuses me. But I went downstairs and did the quiet line test and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to hear, there was a slight bit of static on the line which idk if is normal or not.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Suphix View Post
      I don't really know what wires do what in my house cos the socket is downstairs and the router upstairs so it kinda confuses me. But I went downstairs and did the quiet line test and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to hear, there was a slight bit of static on the line which idk if is normal or not.
      It should be completely quiet apart from perhaps a slight hiss from the speaker in the phone.

Any crackling/pops.etc would sound like a line fault.

Is the extension to upstairs hard-wired in or is one of those plugin jobs?

You didn't say if you were using wireless or not for the computer?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Oh sorry, I'm using wireless on my laptop atm but I've tried the ethernet cable with both my laptop and the desktop and it's still just as slow.

I just had a look at all the wires and I'm pretty sure from the master socket there is a wire going directly to the TV downstairs, then the other is an extension going upstairs to the router where there is a splitter for the modem wire, then it's connected to another extension going back upstairs where it connects to the phone.

I tried the quiet line test again and tried to really listen to the noises, the only noise is a very quiet humming sort of noise like the whirring of a fan, there's no particular crackling or popping noises.

Exchange:
      Thanks

That wiring sounds pretty Horrible as far as ADSL is concerned and it certainly may be possible to improve your overall connection speed, however with that said you're still getting ~ 4Mbit/s which would equate to ~440 KB/s or so on a download (About 3.5Mbit/s usable due to overheads.etc maybe slightly more)

You might have trouble streaming HD video but web pages should load reasonably quickly.

Is it always slow or only at certain times of the day?

How many other devices are online at the moment could someone else be downloading something on your connection, are any p2p (Bittorrent.etc) apps running at the moment?

Lastly is there any possibility of moving the Sky Router closer to the main socket at least temporarily for testing purposes?

Also make sure you've put filters in all your phone sockets, if you need extra filters I'd recommend ordering them online rather than getting them on the highstreet and the price difference is quite substantial

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah the wires are kinda all over the place.

Sorry maybe I didn't explain it well enough but it's not the internet speed that is shown that is the problem, the router status shows pretty much 4000kbps but the actual performance is much lower, I mean that at the moment the actual speed is really really bad. As I mentioned in the first post though only briefly a download I had in google chrome was only 1,600 bps not the 4000kbps or 3500 or so it is usually at. The speed is so bad that I can't even use speedtest.net to get a connection speed because the connection times out and it tells me to try again.

I tried moving the router downstairs and connecting it directly to the main socket and used the splitter to get the phone connected and I found that doing that meant that the laptop wouldn't connect to the internet at all though the router still showed the connection light as green and working.

As for p2p I don't have any installed on my laptop at all, and have double checked processes to look for any and can't find any. The only other device connected is my brother on the Wii and he is only using basic internet and finds it slow, but he's reading fanfiction stuff or w.e so can do that fine with the poor connection it just takes a couple minutes to load each page.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You should try plugging into the Test socket if you have one, you could be loosing a lot of speed due to dodgy wiring. Also make sure that the micro filter is the first thing plugged into the phone line. Don't plug it into a splitter of any kind. I know your main concern is actual throughput, but you should really strive for the best connection speed. Your slow downloads could be due to your line generating a lot of errors which can slow things right down, another thing that can be cured with a clean connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

For some reason this morning I turn the router on and it's working perfectly fine, nothing changed and it randomly started working but not gonna complain.

I tried using the master socket, or test socket idk; I looked at the link in your sig or w.e and it seems to be the test socket. Before I tried plugging the splitter directly into that and instead of having the dreadfully slow connection I had with it being upstairs and connected through the extensions and such, it just didn't work at all and even though the router light was green and my laptop said it was connected and stuff, the internet didn't actually work. I guess if it stops working as it is now I can go try it again, but hopefully it stays working.

Edit: I said splitter but idk the diff between splitter and microfilter, microfilter is for connecting modem right? I used that one.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you are not getting anything through the Test socket, then something is wrong with your wiring. The Test socket is the main connection for your house, so if it is not working, nothing should be.

When you have the faceplate disconnected, are any other phone sockets you have dead, ie without a dial tone? Are there wires connected to the removable part of the faceplate?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.