Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DNS Caching Problem - How long will it take for sky broadband DNS to update?

This is a discussion on DNS Caching Problem - How long will it take for sky broadband DNS to update? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I've posted this on the official sky forum but I'm get t get a response so thought I'd see ...

braderz31 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

DNS Caching Problem - How long will it take for sky broadband DNS to update?

Hi, I've posted this on the official sky forum but I'm get t get a response so thought I'd see if anyone here has any info. :-)

I'm experiencing a strange DNS caching problem with Sky Broadband.

I'm a web developer and 3 days ago I transferred a website to a new hosting provider. When I try and access the website while connected to Sky broadband, it attempts to retrieve the website from the old hosting server.

It doesn't appear to be a caching issue on my local machine because I've cleared the browser cache, tried different browsers and even flushed the dns locally. Further to this, if I temporarily change my local DNS settings so that it by-passes the Sky DNS and use the Google DNS instead, the website is displayed perfectly.

The website is also displayed perectly fine when I connect my machine to another internet connection.

I sent a ping to the website address while connected to Sky Broadband and sure enough its trying to ping the old IP address of the hosting server where the website used to reside.

This issue isnt just affecting me, some of my customers that would access the website on a regular basis through SKY are also having the same problem.

I found a similar post here

Is there a delay in the time it takes for the DNS to update for Sky Broadband or is there some kind of transparent proxy that would be caching the old hosting IP address?

Many thanks guys

2. Advertisement
      dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Re: DNS Caching Problem - How long will it take for sky broadband DNS to update?

If Sky's DNS servers are behaving properly then the maximum time they should cache the old information is whatever value the TTL (Time to Live) on your domain was set to.

Are you able to provide us a link to your website then I can have a look at what the authoritative servers are returning.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: DNS Caching Problem - How long will it take for sky broadband DNS to update?

Thanks for the reply.

Sure, you can view the site here

Thanks

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Try http://www.intodns.com

Your NS records at your DNS servers don't match the ones at the parent servers (Your domain registrar)

The Parent servers tell me that the DNS information for your domain is found at

ns2.innovatewebsites.co.uk.

ns1.innovatewebsites.co.uk.

However the NS entries in the DNS zone for the domain tell me to goto

ns2.mainnameserver.com
      ns.mainnameserver.com

If I ask ns1.innovatewebsites.co.uk about your domain it tells me your website is at 108.174.152.251

However if I ask ns.mainnameserver.com I get 79.170.40.183

You need to login to whichever provider you are using for the DNS and change the NS entires in the DNS zone to point at the correct servers, if you are unsure on how to do this try asking your hosting provider as they may be able to help (If they are the ones running DNS for you)
      Last edited by dragon2611; 12-06-13 at 11:25 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2611 For This Useful Post:

braderz31 (12-06-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hey dragon2611 - Thanks so much for finding that and informing me of such a great resource. I've made the changes now so we'll see what happens. Many thanks

Brad