Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Switched to Sky, not going well...

This is a discussion on Switched to Sky, not going well... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I have switched to sky talk and broadband which went active on 28th May. The switch did not go ...

kitch217 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Coningsby
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Switched to Sky, not going well...

Hi

I have switched to sky talk and broadband which went active on 28th May. The switch did not go well as after switch we had an 'overhearing' issue where our telephone line was connected with another use in our village who also went to sky on the same day. That was sorted within a couple of days.

Previously I was with BT internet and had a stable connection of 18Mb. With Sky which I know is still on DLM this started at 4Mb went down to 3Mb and has crept up to 6Mb, training has been active since the 29th.

I still have an issue with the broadband which is that when we use the phone the broadband cuts out. The router is currently in the test socket with only it and a phone connected to the filter. I have been told this may be down to the DLM process? I am getting several disconnects a day, packetloss on pingtest.net is anywhere between 10 and 20% with a grade F rating.

Router stats are as below, upload connection speed on BT was 1184, download 18620.

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6329 kbps 605 kbps
      Line Attenuation 19.5 dB 12.9 dB
      Noise Margin 22.7 dB 1.1 dB

Any advice is appreciated, Sky are going to ring me on Sunday when the DLM is completed, but I do beleive there is still a line problem, sky did do a line test last night and could not find a fault and said they can do no more until DLM is complete.

If I watch the line stats when I use the phone the noise margin drops into negative figures.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Advertisement
      James_478 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aycliffe [NEAYC]
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Switched to Sky, not going well...

The first thing I noticed was that you said you got 1184 up and 18620 down with BT. With the stats you've posted you could probably get the downstream but not the upstream, the upstream looks very odd.

Have you tried the router alone, without the phone connected and seen the stats then?

I have seen ADSL drop out when the phone rings because of a faulty phone/router before. The last time I saw this issue it turned out to be a faulty router, I didn't think that was possible but it happened.

If DLM keeps your stats really low and doesn't increase them it indicates there are lots of errors being created and that will stop you getting you 18Mb.

If you can try it without the phone then post the stats we can rule that out.

Also do you have another router in the home?

Thanks

Thanks James, stats with phone unplugged as below, I agree with you the router is either faulty or my original line fault has not been fixed. First thing this morning sync was at just over 3Mb. Just ran pingtest.net 1st time was 14% packet loss 2nd time 25%, something is clearly not happy.

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6349 kbps 605 kbps
      Line Attenuation 19.5 dB 12.6 dB
      Noise Margin 23.2 dB 1.1 dB

Thanks

I agree, there is something not right here. I am inclined to say that you still have a line fault. It would be good to rule out the router before anything

Do you have another router around the home, you say you have switched from BT, do you still have the HUB?

Now, I'm not 100% sure whether this will work or not, it did the last time I tried it. If you plug the HUB in, as much as it won't connect to the internet it SHOULD still show you line stats.

If you have the old HUB and could try plugging that in and just see what happens to that stats

If it doesn't show you anything you will have to wait until the DLM is finished and then contact Sky or wait for them to contact you. If it does, we might be able to rule out the router

Also, see what happens to the line stats if you place/receive a call

Thanks

Hi James

Stats from BT router below, noise margin very similar, so I can assume it is not the router at fault, also noticed that in 32 seconds there were 25801 HEC errors. If I monitor the sky router stats and use the phone the noise margin goes negative, the download noise margin usually goes to -102.102. I will wait for DLM to finish and call SKY. Beginning to wish I had not changed, just expected to get similar connection speeds. Also if I watch the sky router stats the noise margin for upload goes down to 0.

ADSL Line Status
      Connection information
      Top of Form

Line state: Connected
      Connection time: 0 day, 00:00:32
      Downstream: 4,085 Kbps
      Upstream: 589 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38
      Type: PPPoA
      Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
      Latency type: Interleaved
      Noise margin (Down/Up): 8,000.0 dB / 0.0 dB
      Line attenuation (Down/Up): 14.9 dB / 16.0 dB
      Output power (Down/Up): 15.5 dBm / 12.5 dBm
      FEC Events (Down/Up): 2 / 143
      CRC Events (Down/Up): 180 / 675

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 3 / 5
      Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 5
      Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
      Loss of Link (Remote): 0
      HEC Errors (Down/Up): 25801 / 135
      Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitch217 View Post
      Hi James

Stats from BT router below, noise margin very similar, so I can assume it is not the router at fault, also noticed that in 32 seconds there were 25801 HEC errors. If I monitor the sky router stats and use the phone the noise margin goes negative, the download noise margin usually goes to -102.102. I will wait for DLM to finish and call SKY. Beginning to wish I had not changed, just expected to get similar connection speeds. Also if I watch the sky router stats the noise margin for upload goes down to 0.
      It will get sorted, don't worry

I forgot to ask this and this should have been one of the first things I asked, have you changed the micro filter?

If you have then unfortunately you will have to wait for Sky, I would give them another call though and try and push them a little, this issue isn't going to go away when DLM has finished

Thanks

Thanks, have tried original micro filter and both sky filters, all the same. I have tried sky several times on the phone to Sky and used there on line chat but they insist I have to wait until DLM is finished, which is only Friday now so not long to wait. Their line estimate states 11.2 -18Mbps so hopefully will get sorted as you say.

Guess I am just a little bit frustrated as when this gets sorted I will go on DLM again. I am getting moaned at by the wife as she cannot watch netflix or I player! Netflix will run just but it looks like a stream from dial upand still pauses! we are used to having full HD and 5.1 sound. Also I work as tec support/on site service engineer in an industry where everything has to be sorted 'yesterday' but in dealing with Sky/BT or any other major companies things happen at a lot more sedate pace.

James, thanks for taking the time to answer.

tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

with dlm line would only drop at night briefly not during day , also the problem your describing with telephone and router not able to be used at same time indicates some sort of line issue , give sky a call, will have to check setup with ist level support who pass this through higher even if line tests passing

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tenar For This Useful Post:

kitch217 (05-06-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitch217 View Post
      Thanks, have tried original micro filter and both sky filters, all the same. I have tried sky several times on the phone to Sky and used there on line chat but they insist I have to wait until DLM is finished, which is only Friday now so not long to wait. Their line estimate states 11.2 -18Mbps so hopefully will get sorted as you say.

Guess I am just a little bit frustrated as when this gets sorted I will go on DLM again. I am getting moaned at by the wife as she cannot watch netflix or I player! Netflix will run just but it looks like a stream from dial upand still pauses! we are used to having full HD and 5.1 sound. Also I work as tec support/on site service engineer in an industry where everything has to be sorted 'yesterday' but in dealing with Sky/BT or any other major companies things happen at a lot more sedate pace.

James, thanks for taking the time to answer.
      Not a problem, always happy to help

Once everything is sorted DLM should be painless, you will likely have a few more days of slow speeds and then it will jump up to what you should expect for the line. If your line is really stable you may even get better results than with BT.

I too work for a company where customers expect everything to happen yesterday and we try our hardest to fulfill their wishes, unfortunately this problem probably lies with BT/Openreach and once Sky report the issue to OR it is then in their hands.

I have to admit, from my own experience with BT/OR they are generally quite quick at rectifying issues like this.

Just hang in there, if Sky have promised you 11.2-18Mbps chances are you will get that and if not you always have 3 months to move elsewhere

12. The Following User Says Thank You to James_478 For This Useful Post:

kitch217 (05-06-13)

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

If you want it sorted as quick as possible:

Any noise or issues when using ONLY the phone plugged direct at the test socket?

If so - report it as a phone fault to Sky. It requires a voice Openreach engineer.
      If not - report it to Sky as a broadband only fault. Tell them you've tried different filters at the test socket, different router with no other equipment. You may want to try another dsl cable if you have one to hand, but I doubt it'll sort it. Don't take any nonsense that this is down to DLM - it is nothing to do with DLM. This scenario requires a broadband Openreach engineer.

That's the only two outcomes. Anything else and you're being royally fobbed off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast