Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

What websites does Sky now block

This is a discussion on What websites does Sky now block within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by jaykyte Just made a thread asking about pirateproxy and KickassTorrents seem blocked... As was stated here: Originally ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: What websites does Sky now block

Quote Originally Posted by jaykyte View Post
      Just made a thread asking about pirateproxy and KickassTorrents seem blocked...
      As was stated here:
      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      ...Whilst on this site there is a similar rule which prevents us from promoting sites such a TPB, when it is relevant to the conversation and support, there isn't too much harm. Just don't post direct links to these sites or their new proxies.
      Please don't post links like that on this forum.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Piston View Post
      Yeah it's an absolute nightmare. I was looking all over for the web to see news if a Court had ordered the blocking of those sites and can find nothing. It's even odder that TalkTalk and o2 allow access to those sites. I'm furious that Sky seemingly have taken this decision on their own. Surely a Court Order would be imposed all on all ISP's at the same time and there would be some announcement. Sky just bend over straight away at first request and see fit to dictate what sites I can and can't visit. It's even more annoying that the sites they block don't even have a notice like other ISP's do. I thought the site was down for everyone worldwide due to a server error or something for a couple of days and then went ballistic when I realised Sky just decided to censor the internet. It's an absolute disgrace and I won't be giving them my custom unless they have a damn good explanation.
      Getting a bit annoyed, aren't you.

To check if it's a localised block always use "downforeveryoneorjustme.com/"

Any blocks are laughably easy to circumvent.

Used Opera browser?
      Used TOR browser?
      Googled for *insert site here* Proxy?

As people say, Google is your friend here...

Piston is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: TalkTalk Fibre Large
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      Getting a bit annoyed, aren't you.

To check if it's a localised block always use "downforeveryoneorjustme.com/"

Any blocks are laughably easy to circumvent.

Used Opera browser?
      Used TOR browser?
      Googled for *insert site here* Proxy?

As people say, Google is your friend here...
      That's not the point. If a site has been legally blocked then it should be reported in the press or by the ISP. The ISP should post a message to say the site has been blocked and for what reason not just say nothing. "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to pirate***" doesn't tell me that the site was censored and by who. I am aware of the of the isup.me site but I don't routinely check it every time I can't reach a site as 99% of the time it's down for everyone. It was only after a couple of days I checked it and that's how I found out then I checked on my mum's TalkTalk internet and they still get it as I do on my phone.

I have not used Opera. What does it do that would be of use in this situation?

TOR is useless as I could have been to Town and back by the time a page loads if it hasn't timed out so I don't want to use it.

Of course I have Googled alternatives but none are as good as the one I was using. It didn't have annoying popups and stuff that open every time I click to download something and that's not the point anyway.

Are Sky customers just supposed to guess or carry out an investigation themselves to find out if a site has been blocked or not by Sky every time a site doesn't load? Well that's not good enough for me and I expect to be informed and preferably beforehand. Days after they blocked the sites I still can't find one single sentence from any official source anywhere on the net to say they were blocked or any reason for it. So far it's all random people speculating on forums.
      Last edited by Piston; 03-06-13 at 02:48 AM.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

I have not used Opera. What does it do that would be of use in this situation?

TOR is useless as I could have been to Town and back by the time a page loads if it hasn't timed out so I don't want to use it.
      [/FONT][/COLOR]
      Opera has a built-in unfiltered VPN function to enable faster browsing on slower connections..if you need me to spell-it-out, as I said google is your friend...

TOR is fine on my connection, maybe slightly slower, but not as slow as you would suggest. Just copy-and-paste the magnet link to your torrent client of choice.

Are Sky customers just supposed to guess or carry out an investigation themselves to find out if a site has been blocked or not by Sky every time a site doesn't load? Well that's not good enough for me and I expect to be informed and preferably beforehand. Days after they blocked the sites I still can't find one single sentence from any official source anywhere on the net to say they were blocked or any reason for it. So far it's all random people speculating on forums.
      [/FONT][/COLOR]
      The legality of all sites of this kind is dubious. Complaining in this way about sites like these is kind-of silly really.

This post may be in breach of rules regarding circumvention of blocking so...

Piston is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: TalkTalk Fibre Large
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Opera has a built-in unfiltered VPN function to enable faster browsing on slower connections..if you need me to spell-it-out, as I said google is your friend...

TOR is fine on my connection, maybe slightly slower, but not as slow as you would suggest.
      I hadn't heard of that in Opera and it sounds good so I'll check it out now.

Thanks

The legality of all sites of this kind is dubious. Complaining in this way about sites like these is kind-of silly really.

This post may be in breach of rules regarding circumvention of blocking so...
      My main complaint is not being informed and only finding out after days by investigating it myself. The sites aren't actually illegal it's what people upload or download and they are responsible for that themselves. I wouldn't download any **** from Hollywood and I don't listen to music so would never fear having my stuff tracked or them having my IP. In fact all they will end up doing is making it harder to actually track the offenders they are after because they will all have been driven to use methods to circumvent the bans which will mean they can't even prosecute them because they don't have the persons IP but inconvenience EVERYONE. LMAO it's all just crazy.
      Last edited by Piston; 03-06-13 at 04:03 AM.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

Sky is actually planning on blocking proxy sites that do torrent sites.

Thanks

Who told you that?

Legally Sky would need a court order to block access to any site, unless the Government changes the law.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Turnbull2000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Shields
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Who told you that?

Legally Sky would need a court order to block access to any site, unless the Government changes the law.
      It's true, unfortunately. Sky has taken blocking up another notch, to include numerous proxy sites and even one's that check what's available and what's not. If Sky are doing this on their own accord, seems only natural they'll move towards a total block on torrent sites.

fluke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sydenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      Sky is actually planning on blocking proxy sites that do torrent sites.
      That would be some exercise, have you seen how many proxies there are for torrent sites ??

==========
      Regards
      Dave

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fluke View Post
      That would be some exercise, have you seen how many proxies there are for torrent sites ??
      Never mind that, what about the number of proxy sites?

The pop up all over the place.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast