Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Hopefully sorted

This is a discussion on Hopefully sorted within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Finally had a call from Tier 3 tonight after weeks of fun trying to get a stable connection. Like many ...

Teddy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hopefully sorted

Finally had a call from Tier 3 tonight after weeks of fun trying to get a stable connection. Like many others on here my connection was dropping all the time especially early evenings requiring router reboots and long waits for it to connect again. I tried all the various tweaks listed on this site but always the connection would drop, once when I was trying to transfer some money online with the Bank!

Last weekend I fitted an ADSL Nation Faceplate: (http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php) right where the line enters the house. I also had to fit a Master socket for it to fit into as the connection is the original box BT fitted when the house was new 26 years ago.

It seemed to improve massively the reliability of the connection (only dropped once after fitting it) and increased the speed from 8mb up to just under 16mb (I am on the Max package). Anyway I was happy enough to have sorted it the only annoyance being the 10 metre cable from the face plate up the stairs to the room with the modem/router; I tried drilling up through the ceiling to shorten this cable length but chickened out when I hit metal mesh between the floors.

Anyway Tier 3 finally phoned tonight after weeks of trying to get hold of them, the engineer said that he had checked the line and said he was getting too many errors on it for it to remain stable, I explained that it seemed fine now but he said in his opinion it would not remain like that. He asked if I could plug the modem into the Master socket downstairs so he could rule out the 10 metre connecting lead. He rang back 10 minutes later once I had re-connected it and re-tested the line at different speeds. In the end he said that if I wanted a stable connection he should cap it at 8mb as he was getting no errors on the line at this speed. He explained that he thought the line from the Exchange to my house was the culprit and there is not really much either of us can do to improve it as BT would say it was working well enough. So disappointed not to be on 16mb but happy enough if it remains stable (I was previously on 500k so 8mb seems fast enough at the moment). The Engineer suggested I mount the router downstairs near the socket and either use wireless or run up a Network lead upstairs to keep the connection stable. I will try and sort this out ASAP.

The chap from Tier 3 seemed a quantum leap over the other call centre people I have spoken to, he really seemed to know his stuff, and hopefully Sky can sort out some more like him.
      Let just hope it keeps going now.

2. Advertisement
      SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Welcome tot he site Teddy
      glad to hear you got things sorted, yes Sky definatly need more tier 3 staff as these guys are the dogs watsits and do a great job in helping people out but again Sky need more of these.

Glenn
      "To help would be a great adventure"

Hoagie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gedling (EMGDDLI)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      How long did you have to wait for the call from Tier 3? and did hassling Tier 1 help at all?

markyb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: orrell
      Broadband ISP: connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      when you say network lead do you mean ethenet cable rather than a phone extension cable

Teddy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Markyb, it's an Ethernet cable I would like to run upstairs if I can find somewhere near the faceplate to put the router.

Hoagie, I had phoned the Tier 1 people quite a few times in the first few weeks and in the end asked them if they could pass the call to Tier 3 and put on the call to phone me after 6pm or at weekends. This took over 2 weeks but they did phone last night.
      The connection seems pretty stable and I have noticed the Noise Margin has gone from 6.9 db (and sometimes down as low as 4.5) up to 14.6 db downstream.