Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Netgear router upgraded to Sagem and now registering Gb's of usage

This is a discussion on Netgear router upgraded to Sagem and now registering Gb's of usage within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; All, I've hunted high and low for any info on this but haven't come up with much. I've had an ...

beaker141 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Netgear router upgraded to Sagem and now registering Gb's of usage

All,

I've hunted high and low for any info on this but haven't come up with much.

I've had an old netgear sky router since 2006, all was well, until I unplugged it overnight to stop the kids using the internet, when it was then turned back on it wouldnt connect to ADSL line any more.

Rang Sky, they said Router broke and after a bit of diagnosis etc they said they'd send me a new one, and it said on their system there would be no charge for it - the guy seemed surprised at this and said there is usually a charge, he also encouraged me to call up again and get some compensation for loss of service.

I thought this was due to me being such a loyal customer!

Sagem router all up and running now, but I've started getting emails about usage, we're on the broadband Lite, so 2Gb allowance, since the first email 2 days ago, we've used another 4Gb - so we're well over.

What I'm suspicious about - broadband usage hasnt changed in our house, only the router. Was there any issues with the old Netgear where Sky couldnt measure the usage history - my usage history has always been blank up till now (clearly I've kept quiet). Have Sky then deviously disabled the account relevant to that router/mac or something at the exchange to force me into replacing it so they can track my usage and upgrade me?

I've tried an older version of firmware on the netgear now in case it was a firmware related upgrade and it still cant get to ADSL connection. Could there be a certain component in the netgear thats fried that I could replace?

Any ideas?

Stuart.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Netgear router upgraded to Sagem and now registering Gb's of usage

The first thing that I would do would be to change the WiFi settings on the router, after looking to see who/what is connected to it.

When you log into the Sky router, take a look at the page which lists the connected devices. Print it off if you prefer. Check the list against everything in your home and ensure that it is all accounted for. You'll find the list of connected devices under the 'Maintenance' tab.

Next navigate to the Wireless settings page. You want to change the Wireless name (SSID), security settings (use WPA2, not WPA-WPA2, WPA or WEP) and the password. Do this when connected to the router via an Ethernet cable. Do not worry about the password being complex. The software to hack a WPA2 router is quite processor intensive and would crack any password eventually. Ensure that it is at least 8 characters long and includes both letters and numbers. As for the SSID, any name is fine but I would recommend against using family names or something relating to your property. It just makes it too easy to identify who lives somewhere and shows when you are away. Remember that since this is broadcast that you should not use any rude words or other inflammatory words.

If you do not use the WiFi choose to disable it instead.

Also navigate to the page to change the router's password.

Basically I suspect that someone may have hacked the router's WiFi password and may be using your Internet connection. Doing all the above will verify or disprove this theory and make it harder for them to try again. The default settings are IMHO too easy to crack.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

beaker141 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Scubbie - thanks for your help.

I am not in any way disputing we have used the Gb's we have, I commandeered one of my sons Nexus 7s last night and checked, there was 3Gb of iplayer, 1.5Gb of youtube - so I dont doubt it is us who have used the Gb's.

We will have always used this much though, Sky picking up on it coincided with changing the router, hence I think either something wasnt registered correctly between the old router and sky - or the netgear didnt allow them to record usage.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

No problem. It wasn't clear in your first post that this was expected. I see now that you suspect that the older firmware didn't pick it up, but I suspect that there was a glitch somewhere in the settings for your account and you have been lucky and it wasn't picked up sooner.

In this case Sky will simply change your product from 'Everyday Lite' to 'Unlimited' and charge you the extra 7.50 (if you have Sky TV, else 10) per month.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beaker141 View Post

I've tried an older version of firmware on the netgear now in case it was a firmware related upgrade and it still cant get to ADSL connection. Could there be a certain component in the netgear thats fried that I could replace?

Any ideas?

Stuart.
      Depends what's died on it, might be worth checking the capacitors haven't failed but most of the components will be very tricky if not impossible to replace without damaging the board.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beaker141 View Post
      Scubbie - thanks for your help.

I am not in any way disputing we have used the Gb's we have, I commandeered one of my sons Nexus 7s last night and checked, there was 3Gb of iplayer, 1.5Gb of youtube - so I dont doubt it is us who have used the Gb's.

We will have always used this much though, Sky picking up on it coincided with changing the router, hence I think either something wasnt registered correctly between the old router and sky - or the netgear didnt allow them to record usage.

I've seen this on loads of accounts. Zero usage showing for ages then when a router gets replaced suddenly tons of usage registering. So yes I would think there is an issue with the oldest routers registering the correct usage. Replacement routers are all the Sagem wireless N routers now. They are 37 on their own or free if recontracting for 12 months.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      I've seen this on loads of accounts. Zero usage showing for ages then when a router gets replaced suddenly tons of usage registering. So yes I would think there is an issue with the oldest routers registering the correct usage. Replacement routers are all the Sagem wireless N routers now. They are 37 on their own or free if recontracting for 12 months.
      Id be very surprised if it's the routers themselves reporting the usage, more likely that when Sky associate the new router with your account it also happens to fix something that's broken in their backend systems.