Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree4Likes
    • 4 Post By dragon2611

Skys stance on own routers

This is a discussion on Skys stance on own routers within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by BEusergroup page Q: Can we use our own routers? A: We will be changing our policy on ...

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Skys stance on own routers

Quote Originally Posted by BEusergroup page
      Q: Can we use our own routers?
      A: We will be changing our policy on this both for BE members who are switched to Skys network and also for the rest of our Sky Broadband customers. Its going to take us a bit of time to be able to extend this to all Sky customers. BE members can continue to use their own routers now, and after your service has been switched to Skys network if you are part of the Sky-managed migration.
      We will be training all our technical help advisors over time about supporting non-Sky routers (we have thousands of advisors so it will take a bit of time) but we won't be able to run all diagnostics and provide as full technical support as for Sky routers.
      Source BE Usergroup

Seeing I still have access to the be forum I was also able to ask for the following clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon2611@Be_forum
      I presume this means that sky have no plans to actively enforce the clause in the T&C's that states users on the Sky network need to use the supplied router.

Obviously if someone breaking this Condition was to phone up for support i'd expect them to be told to plug the sky router back in but it would be good to hear the official stance on this.
      Quote Originally Posted by Lyssa.Mcgowan (Sky staff) @ BEforum
      Yes that's right.

We will be training all our technical help advisors over time about supporting non-Sky routers (we have thousands of advisors so it will take a bit of time) but we won't be able to run all diagnostics and provide as full technical support as for Sky routers.
      I did go on to state that I suspect they would temporarily suspend someone if their router was causing problems for the sky network which unfortunately Sky didn't respond to.

Whilst we've known for a while that Sky haven't been actively pursuing those of us who choose to use an alternative router it's still nice to hear their official stance on the matter.

In the meantime I'd still suggest anyone who IS using their own router on Sky make sure they know where the Sky supplied router is and ensure you switch to it before calling up for technical support

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dragon2611 For This Useful Post:

bertiep (29-05-13),dog-man (29-05-13),stereohaven (29-05-13)

3. Advertisement
      mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Skys stance on own routers

From the original post, it seems Sky will be actively allowing users to use their own router and will be changing their T&Cs to reflect this. It will be interesting to see whether Sky continue to send out a router as part of the package (and maybe insist this is connected to help diagnosis of problems) or maybe lower the price if a customer selects to use their own router?

iZucchini is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Finchley
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Great news... Hopefully makes life easier for everyone involved!

buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR-102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

It does look like this will be the case eventually. I look forward to having less awkward conversations with customers about recontracting or paying 37 for a new router.