Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Alternative Router/Modem

This is a discussion on Alternative Router/Modem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I am looking for advice on replacing my existing SR101 sky hub. I understand this is not support by ...

tonysmith86 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Alternative Router/Modem

Hi I am looking for advice on replacing my existing SR101 sky hub. I understand this is not support by sky however I require to do so as I believe the SR101 is causing issues when connecting to my office VPN. I am looking to find out what the drawbacks are with replacing the router with your own and recommendations on a router/modem replacement. I want to upgrade to Sky fibre when openreach run fibre to the cabinet in my area so want to ensure whatever I purchase now is compatible with fibre when this is available. Thanks for your time. Tony

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Alternative Router/Modem

You have a couple of things to consider:

1. Do you want to get a Cable router now and connect it to the Sky Hub with the Hub sending all the ports directly for your own router to handle the LAN? Any cable router will work this way but you may be unable to use any loopback features (i.e. your own DynDNS address from inside your own LAN)
      2. Alternatively do you want a router which will replace the Sky Hub?
      3. Do you want to get a router just for ADSL then sell it when you upgrade to Fibre?

At the moment the Billion 7800N is the only one capable of supporting MER on Sky's ADSL connections. With the right firmware it can also connect on the Fibre without the Sky Hub.

Billion Products for SSL VPN, ADSL Modem/Router, Wireless ADSL Router, Powerline ADSL Router and Adapter, VoIP ADSL Modem/Router, Security Router, Broadband Router, SHDSL Bridge/Router, iBusiness Security, ISDN Product

Of course your ADSL connection might support PPPoA but no router which only supports PPPoA will also work on Sky Fibre.

With the use of a custom firmware it is possible to replace the Sky Hub on the Fibre connection with almost any Cable router. Check out the DD-WRT, OpenWRT and Tomato sites for details of supported routers.

There are instructions on this form for what you need to do in each situation (i.e. get the log in details from your Sky Hub SR101 and how to use them on your router).

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks very much for your reply. If im honest I would rather not do anything, the general functionality of the SR101 is working ok for me. Just the intermittent drop of my VPN connection, particularly at times when I really need it is the biggest bug bare. I connect from other sources consistently without issues. I did have a problem which resolved itself... how I don't know but since sky pushed firmware out to the SR101 at the weekend I have been back to the same intermittent drops. Basically I am looking for the cheapest way with the least amount of hassle. I will no doubt upgrade to sky fibre so I want to keep this in mind when selecting an option. I don't use DynDns and would rather whatever option I choose now would work going forward without having to flash the unit when I go to upgrade. I have managed to obtain my details from the SR101.... however was talking to someone who said whatever I do I will have to play around every month as sky with disconnect me.... I don't believe this to be true but again don't want that hassle.

Thanks

Although Sky's T&Cs state that you should use their router, they do not disconnect people for using their own.

There are a couple of reported issues with the current firmware. Hopefully a new version is being developed. I haven't heard anything yet about any release date.

VPNs have always been an issue with Sky's routers. Some work fine, others struggle.

It may be possible for you to use the following setup:

Sky Hub SR101 -> WAN Port of your own Cable router

Using the DLink DIR613.

I have used this setup on both ADSL and Fibre connections with Sky using my WNDR3800.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks again for your prompt reply. That looks like an easy enough task to do. What's is your recommended router. Im willing to spend up to 100. I have several devices connected (couple of Voip Phones, Multiple PC/Laptop/Tablet, NAS, Sonos system etc) So looking for something that will handle all of this. I had configured my laptop in the DMZ of the sky router and still had VPN issues... so would putting the new cable router still have this issue or is it just something with the hub and VPN connections.

Thanks

That is a tough one.

There are some really nice routers out there which will all do what you are looking for.

Knowing what I know about WiFi adaptors now and the future of Internet speeds, I personally would not consider a router limited to 100mb Ethernet or anything less than a 300mb WiFi on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels.

Since the VPN is a specific issue, it would make perfectly good sense to chat with colleagues at work to see if any have their own routers and what they are first. However I would suggest that this is something which should work perfectly well using the system described in the link above. Do remember your legal rights and ask the seller if possible before you buy.

I have just looked at the current pricing for the WNDR3800 and it looks to be available from around 136 at the moment. It should otherwise meet your specs. There will be other routers which will also meet these specs. Perhaps some other members could offer suggestions or take a look around and ask us.

P.S. I just looked up a higher specified router from Netgear (WNDR4500) and I found it at ~130 on Amazon & 120 in Currys.

Exchange:
      Thanks

so If I went for the WNDR4500 would this replace the hub or piggy back off of it.

Thanks

The WNDR4500 is a cable router. It has no built in Modem.

The Sky Hub SR101 would sit between it and your telephone socket. You will need the Sky Hub SR101 to dial up the connection and verify the log in details with Sky's servers. The instructions in the link to the DIR613 thread will work. By connecting the WNDR4500's WAN Ethernet port to the SR101, all your local network traffic will be handled by the WNDR4500. The SR101 will just act like a glorified Modem and should pas the traffic unhindered to the Internet.

By using an Ethernet cable, you have the additional freedom to place the WNDR4500 much further from the Sky Hub SR101 if you want to do this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

tonysmith86 (29-05-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Brilliant, your help is greatly appreciated. Do you think this is the best solution to go then. Use the WNDR4500 as the core network and route everything through the hub? Out of curiosity does the hardware change when I adopt sky fibre or is the hub still the hardware used?

Thanks

I am using this system at the present time with my WNDR3800. It works just fine on both ADSL and FTTC with Sky .

I did look at the custom firmwares (i.e OpenWRT and DD-WRT) but prefer the Netgear firmware. This means that I can't connect my WNDR3800 directly to the BTO Modem. I am also waiting on something from Sky regarding the Sky Hub so I need it ready to go when I get a message from them.

There may be cheaper alternatives available. I happen to know the Netgear routers well myself. Other members use many other brands and are perfectly happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast