Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Sky Hub synced with SNR of 3.0

This is a discussion on Sky Hub synced with SNR of 3.0 within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been having problems with reduced speed recently as I explained in this thread. For most of last year, my ...

Jaheira is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Abergavenny
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Hub synced with SNR of 3.0

I've been having problems with reduced speed recently as I explained in this thread. For most of last year, my downstream connection speed was around 10000kbs. Since about March of this year, it has been greatly reduced, fluctuating between 4-7Mbs. This dip in speed appears to coincide with the activation of the new version of DLM you talk about. Since I'm still using an old Sagem F@ST2504G router, could the new version of DLM be crippling my speed as it is not optimised for use with older routers? I'm also in an area without FTTC. Could the new version of DLM be optimised for fibre optic broadband, and thus be causing an issue with old style connections?

I've also noticed my router dropping the WAN connection as about 2am each morning. Does this mean DLM is active on my line?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,017 Posts

The new changes to the DLM software sadly do not work with all the Sky routers at the present time.

Confirmed as supported are just two routers:

1. Sagem 2504N
      2. Sky Hub SR101

The Sagem 2504 which you have does not have the required firmware update to allow it to support all the changes, specifically the G.INP.

Before you decide to go and get a router off eBay, there are other conditions required as well and we do not have the knowledge to know if these are also present on your connection. Essentially you need to be connected to Sky's DSLAM kit, not WLR3.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Essentially you need to be connected to Sky's DSLAM kit, not WLR3.
      And how can I deduce if I'm connected to Sky's digital subscriber line access multiplexer, or if the kit is even installed at my exchange?

If old routers are causing an issue, why doesn't Sky send out newer ones, especially considering the amount I pay them each month!? Surely it would be less of a problem for them too, having to support fewer models.

My downstream connection speed changed again this morning (favourably), and my LAN uptime is now about 12 hours. Am I correct in believing that this is part of DLM reprofiling?

Thanks

Old routers are not 'causing' the issue.

The DLM software has been updated and required a module on the router for some of the update to work.

DLM re-profiles the line speed between 1am and 6am. Typically it does this between 1am and 3am but I have seen it a little later.

If you dial 17070 you will either get BT's Line Testing services or Zoe. If you have Zoe then there is a good chance that you are on fully on Sky's DSLAM.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Essentially you need to be connected to Sky's DSLAM kit, not WLR3.
      Surely if the service is Sky Broadband Unlimited then Sky's DSLAM will be used irrespective of whether WLR3 or SVBN as it is only Sky BB Connect and Fibre that use Openreach's DSLAMs or MSANs.

Thanks

I know from discussions that whilst I was on WLR3 that the new DLM software would not have been applied to my line.

Thanks

Old routers are not 'causing' the issue.

The DLM software has been updated and required a module on the router for some of the update to work.
      So what you're saying here is that if you have an older router, the new version of DLM isn't applied, and therefore an older version will be active in reprofilling your line? So does DLM run locally or remotely? Thanks for trying to elaborate here Scubbie, but you really need to explain a little more rather than rattle off acronyms that many of us might not be familiar with!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaheira View Post
      So what you're saying here is that if you have an older router, the new version of DLM isn't applied, and therefore an older version will be active in reprofilling your line?
      Correct.

So does DLM run locally or remotely?
      I believe that the DLM (Dynamic Line Management) software is run within the kit at the telephone exchange. Else it is run further up the line or in Sky's servers. It is not run within the router. I am not sure what specific changes are included within the Sagem 2504N (newest firmware) and the Sky Hub SR101, but I suspect that some form of data collection is made which can then be accessed remotely by the DLM software.

Thanks for trying to elaborate here Scubbie, but you really need to explain a little more rather than rattle off acronyms that many of us might not be familiar with!
      I apologise if I have been a little vague and using acronyms. When viewed on a PC our forum software now picks up some abbreviations and underlines them with a series of dots. If you hover over these the full name is exposed. A quick use of a search engine will locate more information on the topic is you are unsure.

There are a series of threads on DLM on this forum. Please feel free to read them if it helps:

Sky & DLM

Thanks

Thanks for that!

As I said earlier, my WAN connection seems to be resetting each morning around 2am, which I now gather is due to DLM. My downstream connection speed is currently around 7000kbs. What's weird is that my noise margin appears to be the biggest variable at the moment. When it's low (~5dB) pingtimes to the closest servers on speedtest.com are about 35ms. When it's higher (~11dB), I'm getting pingtimes of 45ms. Why should line stats cause this effect?

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

It seems I don't pay attention as 645 hours ago I was reconnected at 17.7 down and 1.2 up.
      I've still got the bit of paper that I recorded my daily dlm reconnect figures on when I rejoined Sky a couple of months ago.
      Looking at that to get the figures I'm connected at now the nm dropped to 3, now it is still at 6.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast