Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Frustrating speed Dips

This is a discussion on Frustrating speed Dips within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; or perhaps there's an intermittent fault!...

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

Re: Frustrating speed Dips

or perhaps there's an intermittent fault!

2. Advertisement
      Jaheira is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Abergavenny
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Download connection speed has been stable at about 7002kbs since I last posted. Although 2 caveats:-

1) Although my download connection speed was 7002kbs in the router stats, I was only actually getting about 2.5mbs earlier according to speedtest. Rebooted the router just now, and now I'm getting about 6.2Mbs (which is what I'd expect over wireless with the router connecting at about 7Mbs).

2) Speedtest is showing my location incorrectly! I was in Sheffield before that reboot, and Folkstone after! I checked my new IP address via geolocate and indeed it says I'm in Folkstone, Kent!

Anyone have any comments?

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

It helps us to see the full statistics as we do not look solely at the connection speeds. If this happens again, could you post the whole lot please?

I see that you have posted your stats in post #17. Are these still correct? If so they can act as a reference for the future.

Generally speaking, if your connection keeps dropping in speed like you have experienced, there is an issue with the line somewhere. This being the case then you should call Sky in order to get an Engineer to look at it.

The location information is based upon WAN IP Address and is very rarely correct. I tend to ignore it.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

The line stats posted in #17 are still pertinent. What's weird is that they remained identical after I rebooted, but download speed according to speedtest.net leapt from about 2Mbs to 6Mbs. Therefore whilst my connection stats persisted, the flow down the virtual 'pipe' was 3 times greater!

Speedtest has always shown my location as somewhere in South Wales. It's only recently that I've been relocated without my consent to the North Midlands and then Kent! My location appears to change each time I reboot my router (and therefore assigned a new IP address).

These slow speeds are really staring to really irritate me since I live in a town of over 30,000 people and still don't have access to Fibre Optic Broadband (or full Freeview come that to that).
      Last edited by Jaheira; 23-06-13 at 09:10 AM.

Thanks

Using an IP Address to get your location really is unreliable.

Sky doesn't allocate the IP Address and log your home address in a place where a public Internet program can access it, so please don't worry about it. If you really want to find where you are, try this page:

Where Am I - See your Current Location on Google Maps

I did it on mine and it came up trumps first time on my Windows 8 Laptop, but I guess that it relied on the IP Address for my Win 7 Laptop. My Win 7 Laptop places me in the middle of the City of London, just off Cheapside. The location isn't far from Sky's Network Services offices, so I guess it is close enough for the service.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

And now back to where I was at the start of the year!

Frustrating speed Dips-junerouter.jpg

So, those connection speeds. Is the prefix kilo (x1000) or kibi (2^10) bits per second? Whatever downstream connection speed is stated in the router stats, I'm only getting a proportion of that I assume due to the overheads associated with wireless. For example, 9800kbs gives me about 8.4Mbs according to speedtest.

My location in speedtest is now correct. Strangely, when my location has been incorrect, ping times to servers in the southern UK have been 35ms. When it's correct, 45ms. So, does Sky attach location information to each IP Address it allocates, so that your geographical location can queried?

Thanks

I am not sure how the site work out where you are by your IP Address. I suspect that something a previous user of the IP Address has done has associated it with a location.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

As for the connection speed, I think that this is probably more likely due to a routing issue or some other technical problem.

Not enough is known about the back haul network for us to be able to comment on this properly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123