Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Frustrating speed Dips

This is a discussion on Frustrating speed Dips within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by jayhab You mention a 2nd master socket, is / was it physically a second line, or was ...

Jaheira is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Abergavenny
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Frustrating speed Dips

Quote Originally Posted by jayhab View Post
      You mention a 2nd master socket, is / was it physically a second line, or was it installed using the 'spare' wires from your main phoneline?
      A separate second line with its own telephone number, which was disconnected several years ago. We're starting to go a little off at a tangent here, as I doubt it has any impact at all on my current issues!

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You may be asked for the account password and probably your post code and the answer to a secret question. It would be better if you have the account holder handy to make the call, then pass it over to you.
      Account password? You mean the password for the Sky Mail account? Incidentally, since no-one was bothering to use the email service since I set up a pop service in Thunderbird, I didn't bother to agree to the new terms recently when the accounts migrated across to Yahoo. The old pop setting still appear to be working though.............

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaheira View Post
      A separate second line with its own telephone number, which was disconnected several years ago. We're starting to go a little off at a tangent here, as I doubt it has any impact at all on my current issues!
      Well that depends doesn't it? If the second line, even with its own phone number was delivered down the same cable, using wires 1, 4 and 6 which are ordinarily spare in a domestic installation, and if someone had been fiddling with this line recently, perhaps at the street cab or the exchange - then maybe the additional crosstalk or interference would be messing up your line! But if this is too much of a tangent to be of any help to you perhaps I won't bother trying to help you.

Thanks

Sorry Jayhab, I hadn't really ever thought about how telephone lines were physically wired!

Don't my noise margin and line attenuation figures imply that the line is fine and that the issue is Sky's overzealous DLM? They're virtually the same now (at 3.5Mb/s) as they were when I was getting 9Mb/s for most of last year (see my previous posts). And those speed dips I've experienced 3 times in the past year resolving on their own. Doesn't that appear to point to Sky as well?

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

Yes, DLM has capped your line speed, but that isn't the problem. For DLM to kick in, it needs to have found a issue first. After the first instance, DLM may have thought it was a one-off, so let your connection recover; when it happened again and again - it took action and it will keep taking action until whatever issue you have is resolved or you are capped so heavily that the interference is marginalised.
      You may have an intermittent line fault on your active line - this can be caused by any number of things - wet weather is a pretty common one - rain water getting into a cable duct, cable damage, water in cable etc etc. You would possibly notice this as a crackly voice line - pick up your phone and dial zero, you should only hear a feint hiss.
      Then there's the old second line possibility - if both your lines were carried down the same cable, all it would take would be for some voltage to be sent down the other line, a bt test signal perhaps and this upsetting your connection, your router loses sync, and DLM registers an issue!
      Sky will happily manually configure the line for you (or restart DLM) but not if in their stats they see that you have a problem and removing the cap will leave your connection unstable.
      You will need to pass security when you call - I would suggest when you call, you have the account holder with you, explain to sky who you are and why you are calling and pass the phone to the account holder to do security then pass it back to you.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaheira View Post
      Account password? You mean the password for the Sky Mail account? Incidentally, since no-one was bothering to use the email service since I set up a pop service in Thunderbird, I didn't bother to agree to the new terms recently when the accounts migrated across to Yahoo. The old pop setting still appear to be working though.............
      No not the email password, an account password. If they have not contacted Sky before they may not have one and may be asked to set one up. It depends a lot on the agent you get, some are stickers for security and privacy, others will not bother as long as you are calling from the number used by your broadband.

If you did not accept the transfer of your email to Yahoo, you will eventually be cut off. If you are using Thunderbird or any other client to access the Sky Mail, that does not matter, the account will just disappear.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

If you did not accept the transfer of your email to Yahoo, you will eventually be cut off. If you are using Thunderbird or any other client to access the Sky Mail, that does not matter, the account will just disappear.
      Yes, I was aware the account would curl up and die sometime soon. I didn't bother to accept the conditions to migrate across to Yahoo as no-one was bothering to use it! Everyone here now has their own web based email, so I can uninstall Thunderbird; one less thing to update on the plethora of machines I look after. I was just a little puzzled why it has taken so long for the account to be deleted.

No noticeable crackling on the line.

Another piece of pertinent info I just remembered. A few years back when I was still using that second line for dial-up, it started disconnecting all the time and giving extremely slow download speeds (for dial-up that is ~20kb/s). I scheduled a line check and a BT engineer came to the house. He traced the issue back to a damp connection in the cabinet. At that time the primary line was broadband enabled, and I was getting download speeds of around 8Mb/s (why dial-up AND broadband you might ask!? The house laptop downstairs was connecting to the broadband router, whilst I had an old Win98 box upstairs using dial-up on the second line!!). The engineer remarked that if there'd been a damp connection with the broadband line, I'd be seeing a huge drop in download speeds. So one line was fine, whilst the other had a damp connection in the cabinet.

Anyway, the saga continues! Here's what line statistics I'm getting today:-

Frustrating speed Dips-latest.jpg

Apart from the obvious jump in download speed, the first thing that struck me when I checked my speeds with Speedtest was ping time, which is now around 35ms to most of their servers in the south of the UK as opposed to about 45ms in the past.

I think I'll just sit on my hands, as I'll probably be getting 10Mb/s by the end of the week! Any more input Isitme and jayhab? And thanks for the help/suggestions you've both given me the past few days.
      Last edited by Jaheira; 07-05-13 at 03:33 AM.

Thanks

It looks like DLM is at work on your line so just sit back and let it do its thing. Make sure you don't switch off or disconnect the router as it may effect the outcome.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

It looks like DLM is at work on your line so just sit back and let it do its thing. Make sure you don't switch off or disconnect the router as it may effect the outcome.
      I did reboot the router yesterday, as my download speed during the Speedtest test was almost like a sine wave! After the reboot, the download speed trace was horizontal at about 6Mb/s.

Final thing to note, my download speed and router stats are the same this evening as when I posted yesterday, except the noise margin has dropped from about 10db to about 4db. Is this all part of the DLM doing its thing?

Thanks

except the noise margin has dropped from about 10db to about 4db. Is this all part of the DLM doing its thing?
      Not really, that is a very big drop without a speed increase, so it may mean there is interference on your line. Fingers crossed it is a blip and your noise margin or speed go up.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast