Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Help about joining sky broadband

This is a discussion on Help about joining sky broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have been in a new home for a year now with BT broadband, and now thinking of moving ...

WilliamO7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Crayford
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Help about joining sky broadband

I have been in a new home for a year now with BT broadband, and now thinking of moving to Sky because of the TV packages.
      I have been with Sky before, and I got 10Mb down and and 1Mb up, which was pretty fast.
      I'm not sure about the service, so I just wanted to ask a few questions:

1. I currently have a PC, a Laptop, a NAS and a Raspberry Pi (used as a web server) on my network. The Pi needs to have port 80 forwarded, and I know you can do that on the sky hub (loosely) and so I just wanted to know if it would actually work? I have seen people saying it doesn't forward the ports, and merely creates a 'hole' for traffic to pass through, so a better clarification would help please?

2. I am also planning on using Wake on LAN and so I wanted to know if that works with the sky hub?

3. If the hub fails, I am planning to get a Billion 7800N router (since that works with MER), I know this is against sky's T's and C's and they have all the rights and powers to suspend you. Nevertheless, I still want to do it anyway.

4. I was also thinking of going with XLIO/Uno Broadband instead of Sky's, and still getting the TV package with it (and calls). Is there anyway to do it as cheaply as possible?

Last edited by WilliamO7; 27-04-13 at 12:54 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Near Portsmouth
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Help about joining sky broadband

Check your contract with BT first. You may find that you are tied into an 18 month contract. As for what you are asking...

1. I can't see any reason why the Raspberry Pi should not work. Several members have other servers which they use on Sky broadband connections
      2. Several members have complained about WOL not always working. If you are doing this remotely you may have an issue. Locally I can use an app on my phone called 'Fing'
      3. Billion have released a firmware which allows the Billion 7800N to connect to Sky's ADSL network whether you have a MER or PPPoA connection. The firmware was created after the hard work of several members and as a direct result the Billion 7800N is a popular choice on this forum. Sky has never banned someone because they are using their own router, but you may get the occasional problem with someone who wants to rule out the router from causing a connection problem. For this reason, as well as the fact that the Billion needs to use the log in details on the Sky Hub, you should keep the sky router to hand
      4. You do not have to have Sky's broadband to get the TV package

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms