Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Moving to Sky..

This is a discussion on Moving to Sky.. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, We're moving to Sky Broadband in the next few weeks and I have a couple of questions if you ...

xreyuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: DGN2200
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Moving to Sky..

Hi,

We're moving to Sky Broadband in the next few weeks and I have a couple of questions if you wouldn't mind helping.

1. Is it possible to use my own router with Sky's connection? I've read on this forum I will have to extract my Sky username and password from the router they send, and I also realise that my line may be PPPoA or MER (my current router is not compatible with MER). If I can't use my own router, can I set the sky router up in bridge mode only, so I can use my router behind it?

2. I am currently with Be*, who allow me to adjust my SNR Margin using their online website, but I also do it using DMT tool as well. I've read something about Sky's DLM working for the first 10 days after installation to find my best speed/stability. I've also read that once DLM has finished, the equipment will not respond to me changing my own SNR margin. Is this correct?

3. Is there anything else I should know coming as a new customer?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Moving to Sky..

Quote Originally Posted by xreyuk
      3.Is there anything else I should know coming as a new customer?
      When they say unlimited, it really is unlimited.

Exchange:
      Thanks

lol

Good, I go through a few hundred GB a month, so could do without being capped.
      gymno likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

What's capping?

Getting back to your original questions...

A1. The Sky Hub SR101 doesn't have a specific 'Modem Only' mode but you can set up the router so that it will send all the port forwarding, etc. direct to your own Cable router.

Using the DLink DIR613.

If you do not have a Cable router, then you will need to piggyback it to the Sky Hub SR101 using the instructions in this thread:

How to connect two Routers together

A2. DLM will cap your speed to the best it can find. Adjusting the Noise Margin too low could cause errors on your line. It may be better leaving this alone. The Sky Hub SR101 does not offer this facility anyway.

What happens is that DLM will find the best possible speed without any significant errors and cap it at that speed. What you actually get may be a few hundred kbps lower than this cap. It is in sky's interests to provide you with the best speed and the DLM process is automated.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      What's capping?

Getting back to your original questions...

A1. The Sky Hub SR101 doesn't have a specific 'Modem Only' mode but you can set up the router so that it will send all the port forwarding, etc. direct to your own Cable router.

Using the DLink DIR613.

If you do not have a Cable router, then you will need to piggyback it to the Sky Hub SR101 using the instructions in this thread:

How to connect two Routers together

A2. DLM will cap your speed to the best it can find. Adjusting the Noise Margin too low could cause errors on your line. It may be better leaving this alone. The Sky Hub SR101 does not offer this facility anyway.

What happens is that DLM will find the best possible speed without any significant errors and cap it at that speed. What you actually get may be a few hundred kbps lower than this cap. It is in sky's interests to provide you with the best speed and the DLM process is automated.
      Hi Scubbie,

Thanks for the information about the routers, I'll bear that in mind. Is it currently possible to retrieve the username and password from the Sky router to use my own router instead?

Regarding SNR, I have found automated processes for finding line speed/stability to not be very good. I am a telecoms engineer by trade so understand the ins and outs of it, and am currently on Be*. Most ISPs will aim for a 6dB noise margin to give good stability on the line. However, my line is only about 200m to the exchange by wire (I don't even go to a street cabinet, hence why I can't get FTTC), and it can perfectly handle a 3dB noise margin with interleaving disabled. I managed to squeeze an extra 3Mb/s out of my Be* line, whilst remaining perfectly stable (one or disconnects per month) compared to the automated process.

If I can use my own router, I will be able to send the commands to it to adjust the SNR margin, but the equipment at the exchange still needs to respond to it. This is enabled by default, however I've been told that Sky will disable the ability the change the SNR on the line once the DLM process has finished.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you are only 200m from the exchange you will get pretty near the maximum speed without messing around with the noise margin. Sky's DLM can reduce the noise margin to 3 db, if the line can support it and give a speed up to 24Mb. Many are now enjoying speeds of 23Mb plus.

You do know that BE/O2 are being taken over by Sky? It is expected that when the move is done you will be able to continue using your own router, so you may want to consider delaying your move..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks.

We were offered a deal that would have meant it was actually cheaper moving rather than staying with them.

I did have another post in this thread which is awaiting moderation I think explaining that the automated system at Be* wasn't very good, and neither was it at my previous ISP because the always aimed for a 6dB noise margin. I used the DMT tool to reduce the SNR margin down to 2.7dB and remained completely stable whilst gaining me around 2.5Mbps. As long as Sky's DLM will take care of that I don't mind

Is it possible for me to use my own router. I know it's not capable of MER but I read on here that Sky sometimes use PPPoA and it may not need MER?

I have seen the thread on extracting the router password from the SR101 when I get it.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Can you please keep to one thread when asking these issues. It tends to annoy people when they see multiple answers to effectively the same question for the same person.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Apologies, will do. I'll keep this thread running if possible.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just thought I'd update this thread.

We've completed the switch to Sky, we're currently being billed by them (and I've noticed slightly slower browsing during peak times which I expected), however we were NOT moved to Sky equipment (no disconnections) OR sent a Sky router. I can only assume we've been left on the old Be* equipment and simply put on Sky's backhaul.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast