Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can't connect to Router using Ethernet

This is a discussion on Can't connect to Router using Ethernet within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi. I'm sure I've been able to do this previously so I'm wondering if the Sagecom router has developed a ...

wilbyforce is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Can't connect to Router using Ethernet

Hi. I'm sure I've been able to do this previously so I'm wondering if the Sagecom router has developed a fault.

I've been using my Sky router as a switch (I used to be with Sky BB but now with another provider) by turning of dynamic IP addressing. I'm fairly sure I used 192.168.0.1 to achieve this.

Now I want to turn off the wireless part of it but 192.168.0.1 doesn't work. I've tried two different computers with two different Ethernet cables and get identical results. I've tried pressing the reset switch.

It was working fine as a switch prior to the reset but I don't understand why the standard IP address doesn't work so that I can change the settings.

Anyone got any clues please?

Many thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Can't connect to Router using Ethernet

If you connected the Sagem to your existing router to use as a switch you must have changed its IP address to one in the range of your main router. Even if you left it the same, which under some circumstances you could, by turning off the DHCP server it means you will have to give your PC a fixed address in the 192.168.0.xxx range as it will not get one from the router.

If you use the reset button, you must hold the button in for about 10 seconds until the router lights flash and it reboots. This will return it to 192.168.0.1 with the DHCP server enabled. You may have to reboot your PC to reconnect to it.

Unless you changed them the username and password are admin and sky, respectively.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Many thanks indeed for that very useful reply. Rebooting the PC seems to have done the trick, I get replies using ping now.

I have it working with my BT home hub now but I've not changed the IP address. If I do change it (to 192.168.1.250 for example) I can't ping it (I get a reply from 192.168.1.77 saying host unreachable ??? ).

Having said that, with the IP address left at 192.168.0.1 I'm still getting dynamic address from my BT home hub via the Sky router, which is at odds with your reply. As long as it works I'm not bothered but I am curious as to why it's working, as you say, they both should be on the same sub-net in theory.

I should add that I have turned off the Sky router's wireless and all of my devices are connected to it via Ethernet.

Thanks again.
      Last edited by wilbyforce; 25-04-13 at 05:30 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I did an Ethernet course some years ago and not used the knowledge I gained so have forgotten most of it, but having consulted my notes I think I have the answer. The Sky router is clever enough to know that it is being used as a switch when it is connected to the BT device ... and of course switches don't use IP addresses, hence its transparency when so connected.

Would you agree with that conclusion?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I can't agree with the Sky router being 'smart', but it may be the other way round. The BT Hub may be smart enough to treat it as a switch. This is the first time I have heard of a Sky router connecting to another router without having its address put in the same range as the other router. Maybe someone else could comment on what is actually happening.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.