Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Do I need to use sky Router

This is a discussion on Do I need to use sky Router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there,I'm thinking of getting sky broadband in,Do I need to use the sky router that they send me.At the ...

tytusgroan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: W/Bay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Do I need to use sky Router

Hi there,I'm thinking of getting sky broadband in,Do I need to use the sky router that they send me.At the moment I'm using a t-p link router.I would hate
      to start playing about with another router. I'm really quite happy with the one i have.

regards tytusgroan

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Do I need to use sky Router

According to Sky's T&Cs yes you do, but in practice Sky have not enforced this rule. You should keep their router though as if you ever have any problems with the broadband, Sky insist on their router being fitted before they provide any technical assistance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      According to Sky's T&Cs yes you do, but in practice Sky have not enforced this rule. You should keep their router though as if you ever have any problems with the broadband, Sky insist on their router being fitted before they provide any technical assistance.
      Ok many thanks seawright.I take it when I connect to them they don't know what router I'm using.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Apparently it is easy to see what you are using, but generally the only time that it causes concern is when the specific issue is related to the router or an inexperienced person answers the phone.

Since you will need to use the extracted details from the Sky router in order to connect to the Sky servers, and you may just need it in the future, it is inadvisable to resell the router over the Internet. Only one router can connect to Sky's servers using the login details at a time, so either you or the person buying it will have access, not both.

I mention the selling but as others have done this, not because I think that this is your intention.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Apparently it is easy to see what you are using, but generally the only time that it causes concern is when the specific issue is related to the router or an inexperienced person answers the phone.

Since you will need to use the extracted details from the Sky router in order to connect to the Sky servers, and you may just need it in the future, it is inadvisable to resell the router over the Internet. Only one router can connect to Sky's servers using the login details at a time, so either you or the person buying it will have access, not both.

I mention the selling but as others have done this, not because I think that this is your intention.
      Hi Scubbie,thanks for the fast reply.I have no intention of selling the router,lol it never even crossed my mind.Always good to have a backup.
      Last edited by Isitme; 22-04-13 at 03:23 PM. Reason: corrected quote