Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Help! My New Vodafone Sure Signal 2 will not work with my Sky Hub SR101 Router

This is a discussion on Help! My New Vodafone Sure Signal 2 will not work with my Sky Hub SR101 Router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Welcome to the forum Lee. It is nice to see a representative from Vodafone here. As you can see from ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Help! My New Vodafone Sure Signal 2 will not work with my Sky Hub SR101 Router

Welcome to the forum Lee. It is nice to see a representative from Vodafone here.

As you can see from this thread the issue is not a new one to our membership. I see in your own forum that you have a thread regarding a 'whitelist'.

As a member of the SkyUser forum staff I can see the IP Address from which people are posting, normal members do not have this access. It is through this piece of information that we first become aware that Sky has added a new block of IP Addresses.

I don't know what system would be best to use, but the implications are that the communication of new blocks of IP Addresses to be used by Sky and other UK ISPs needs to be improved with Vodafone. This would reduce the impact of this issue.

The original accusation by someone in the call centre that the problem was with the Sky Hub SR101 just emphasises that fact that there are many routers out there and that it is an easy distraction technique from the real cause. This lets down your customer base as it isn't the issue in this case. You my wish to feed this back to your call centres so that when the Sure signal does not work, the IP Address is checked before port forwarding.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Re: Help! My New Vodafone Sure Signal 2 will not work with my Sky Hub SR101 Router

Well put Scubbie.

I may be over cynical here, but someone from "Web Relations" directing the OP to an online forum doesn't espouse customer service to me. Maybe a PM or a call-back would make them feel a little more loved ....?

Thanks

Cynicism aside, I double checked their membership details before responding. All of them led me to believe this person is from Vodafone.

Yes on-line forums, such as this, are very popular. However many people still use the telephone as their first port of call when they have a problem.

I do not know where the delay in communication is. All I know is from the number of posts we have seen on this forum that this is not a new problem and that once Vodafone are aware of the issue they can and do resolve it.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCEAR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

If Vodafone actually improved their mobile network coverage to start with though, no where near as many people would actually need these SS boxes in the first place, thus reducing the number of issues these things create or am I looking at this too logically?

Bobbybeats24 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

thanks guys for all the help and assistance in this matter, Ill keep you posted on the progress! Hope Ive not opened a can of worms! but my experience with this SureSignal device is that it is far from plug and play, and the support could be better! thanks all for your assitance guys!

Thanks

Yes and no.

It is a while since I compared all the coverage maps from the different mobile providers, but there are always some areas which have a poor service compared to the centre of town. Whilst on Exmoor last summer I got no signal for several miles and the signal in the B&Bs was fairly poor too for broadband on my phone and even worse for their free WiFi. One even insisted on turning off their router at night .

It is also very possible for the transmitter to be located in such a position that a specific property gets a poor reception, but everyone else gets a good reception.

All this means that there are plenty of occasions when any one provider's signal will be poor in a specific location.

Thanks

I agree, using a SS is not as straight forward as it could or should be. IMHO Vodafone also put far too much effort and energy into femtocells as well. Whilst other networks do offer them as retention tools etc, no other Uk network promote the use of femtocells instead of the core network like Vodafone do. That to me says everything about the Vodafone network.

I could understand the mobile coverage argument, IF coverage was an issue for all the other networks in certain areas. Prime example is where I live in Earby, Lancashire. Every mobile network offers 2G & 3G here apart from Vodafone (who only offer 2G). All the mobile cells serving Earby are all located on the same mast structure (expect Orange who's 3G mast is at the other end of town) so there's no excuse.

Lee_Vodafone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Welcome to the forum Lee. It is nice to see a representative from Vodafone here.

As you can see from this thread the issue is not a new one to our membership. I see in your own forum that you have a thread regarding a 'whitelist'.

As a member of the SkyUser forum staff I can see the IP Address from which people are posting, normal members do not have this access. It is through this piece of information that we first become aware that Sky has added a new block of IP Addresses.

I don't know what system would be best to use, but the implications are that the communication of new blocks of IP Addresses to be used by Sky and other UK ISPs needs to be improved with Vodafone. This would reduce the impact of this issue.

The original accusation by someone in the call centre that the problem was with the Sky Hub SR101 just emphasises that fact that there are many routers out there and that it is an easy distraction technique from the real cause. This lets down your customer base as it isn't the issue in this case. You my wish to feed this back to your call centres so that when the Sure signal does not work, the IP Address is checked before port forwarding.
      Hi Scubbie,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm aware that when you introduce a new block of IP addresses the team responsible for this will have a direct contact at our end to ensure that our systems are updated.

In the event that you come across any particular issues you're welcome to PM me and I'll get these looked into.

I agree that misdiagnosis isn't helpful. However, I'm 100% confident that my colleagues on our eForum would be able to assist anyone who reports difficulties with using Sure Signal with the emphasis being on diagnosing the problem as quickly as possible as well as getting it resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by mattan View Post
      Well put Scubbie.

I may be over cynical here, but someone from "Web Relations" directing the OP to an online forum doesn't espouse customer service to me. Maybe a PM or a call-back would make them feel a little more loved ....?
      Hi mattan,

Whilst in some cases it may be appropriate to invite a customer to contact us privately in others this may not be needed initially.

As such, if there's support on our website which we can point the customer in the direction of then we'll post the necessary link(s) with the intention of ensuring that the customer's query can be resolved as quickly as possible as well as providing help to anyone else experiencing similar problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbybeats24 View Post
      thanks guys for all the help and assistance in this matter, Ill keep you posted on the progress! Hope Ive not opened a can of worms! but my experience with this SureSignal device is that it is far from plug and play, and the support could be better! thanks all for your assitance guys!
      Hi Bobbybeats24,

Thanks for returning to the thread.

I'll look forward to seeing a positive outcome soon; however, should you need any further help you're welcome to post on our eForum where by colleagues will be more than happy to oblige.

Quote Originally Posted by James_Mitchell View Post
      I agree, using a SS is not as straight forward as it could or should be. IMHO Vodafone also put far too much effort and energy into femtocells as well. Whilst other networks do offer them as retention tools etc, no other Uk network promote the use of femtocells instead of the core network like Vodafone do. That to me says everything about the Vodafone network.

I could understand the mobile coverage argument, IF coverage was an issue for all the other networks in certain areas. Prime example is where I live in Earby, Lancashire. Every mobile network offers 2G & 3G here apart from Vodafone (who only offer 2G). All the mobile cells serving Earby are all located on the same mast structure (expect Orange who's 3G mast is at the other end of town) so there's no excuse.
      Hi James,

I can assure you that the introduction of Sure Signal doesn't mean that we're any less committed to improving our network where required.

We currently spend over 1.5 million per day on the network to make the signal stronger and data speeds faster. In addition, we also encourage our customers to provide feedback on their experience via our coverage map here.

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_Vodafone View Post
      We currently spend over 1.5 million per day on the network
      Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK
      LOL and there it is.....the stock corporate copy/paste boiler plate response to everything

Meteosat is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Porthcawl (S.Wales)
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_Vodafone View Post
      Hi Scubbie,

I can assure you that the introduction of Sure Signal doesn't mean that we're any less committed to improving our network where required.

We currently spend over 1.5 million per day on the network to make the signal stronger and data speeds faster. In addition, we also encourage our customers to provide feedback on their experience via our coverage map here.

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK
      That link doesn't bode well for prospective customers - in IE 10 the search panel doesn't respond and there is no place to report poor signal conditions - not at least before joining - one would have thought that this was at least as important as the customers who have already committed and find they are stuffed!

Cheers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast