Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Does Sky inform you if DLM has ben activated since first installation?

This is a discussion on Does Sky inform you if DLM has ben activated since first installation? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme That is DLM training at work. It can now set noise margins of 3db, which it ...

joe pineapples is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLBAL. (Balby)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Re: Does Sky inform you if DLM has ben activated since first installation?

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That is DLM training at work. It can now set noise margins of 3db, which it has done with yours. If your line stays stable at this it will stick there, if it has issues it will drop back to 6db witha 1 or 2 Mb decrease in speed.

Sky appear to be switching many of their connections back to PPPoA, whether this is down to the new DLM, no one really knows.
      I thought Sky used 7db as a minimum target?. Is this something new they introduced recently, and any idea if its implemented with older routers too? (Sagem F@ST 2504 firmware A2pB023o.d20h PPPoA,)
      Last edited by joe pineapples; 05-08-13 at 02:33 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Sky changed the DLM software around Easter 2012 so that it could use 3dB as the target Noise Margin, but only when the line is good enough.

Manual resets are still limited to 7dB.

A further update this year means that for those who are on some of Sky's kit (not WLR3 for example), other improvements can also be implemented which means that line speeds can be improved even more with the SR101 or when the latest firmware is installed on the Sagem 2504N.

They are working on updating the older routers to support this update. No dates are available for when it will be available for your Sagem 2504.
      joe pineapples likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

joe pineapples (05-08-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      A further update this year means that for those who are on some of Sky's kit (not WLR3 for example), other improvements can also be implemented which means that line speeds can be improved even more with the SR101 or when the latest firmware is installed on the Sagem 2504N.
      So it might be worth me getting hold of an SR101 or a 2504n?. Is the firmware I'd need for the latter, available to do the update manually?. And is it possible to get Sky to enable the DLM at my request? (if I got the suitable router)

(sorry for hijacking your thread Wingco)

thanks
      joe

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Both routers are better than your 2504, especially with wireless. You will get a better range and speed with the newer routers provided you have a suitable adapter.

It depends a lot on who you get when you call Sky, some will start DLM training on your line without a problem, others will just tell you that DLM is running on your line and leave it at that.

What do your existing stats look like?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

.What do your existing stats look like?
      Well this is the thing. Since Saturday morning I noticed that I was sync'd at lower than my normal 9.2 down (been solid at that since line training was completed back in Dec 2011). Here are my current stats

Does Sky inform you if DLM has ben activated since first installation?-stats.jpg

Up time is from when I switched it on again this morning. Was thinking that DLM has kicked in, though it hasn't updated on mysky page if so. Not sure if I should ring them up yet or leave it for this week and see if there's any change. Way back before I had the 9.2 down, it was manually set at just over 10 and was rock solid at that as well (for about 3yrs previous), until the DLM kicked in again around the date mentioned. I do have the habit (shoot me for doing my bit ) of switching the router off every night, though if DLM IS running, I'm happy to leave it on till the end of that again. My interest in what Scubbie said about the new router was with the idea that it might return me to a sync of over 10, (under their new 'system'), which was proved to be stable with a lower snr at that time. Of course the line might have degraded since then

Thanks

Switching the router off overnight is not recommended, this is when DLM does its stuff and any updates are downloaded. You should leave it connected for a few nights and see what happens. You would be better upgrading the router though, no matter what happens.
      joe pineapples and gymno like this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

joe pineapples (05-08-13)

Thanks

Switching the router off overnight is not recommended, this is when DLM does its stuff and any updates are downloaded. You should leave it connected for a few nights and see what happens. You would be better upgrading the router though, no matter what happens.
      Yeah, going to leave it on for now. Makes me smile though, Sky recommending customers to leave it on permanently (if my findings are typical). Times the number of BB subscribers (3.86 million?) by even the minimal amount of juice these things use over a year, and that's a hell of a lot of wastage (even if you halve that number for people downloading overnight).

Thanks

Times the number of BB subscribers (3.86 million?) by even the minimal amount of juice these things use over a year, and that's a hell of a lot of wastage
      That's true, but switching off the router off is said to reduce its life span, thus increasing the carbon footprint. Although I don't think there has been a proper study of this done with modern electronics.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Speed seems to be stuck at those stats posted now (been uninterrupted connection for 48hrs) so I'm guessing its going to stay like that. I will leave it till the weekend though and see if anything happens. Still no update on mysky page.

Been looking at the newer routers and it would most likely be a 2nd hand one unless I could wrangle one off Sky at a low price. The Sagem 2504n's seem to go for about 15, but I'm wondering what I'd have to do to get my details on it and if I could update to the latest Sky firmware manually. Also noticed one Sagem for sale that is Version 6 - is this the latest of that model?.

(again, sorry for hijacking your thread Wingco)

thanks
      joe

RADZ1973 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01424
      Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I have 3 Sagem 2504n's one of which is on custom firmware if you pay for p+p i will send you one FREE as i have no use for them anymore as im on fibre now.
      joe pineapples likes this.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RADZ1973 For This Useful Post:

joe pineapples (07-08-13)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast