Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Bizarre 4am ping spikes (1000ms or more), every day!

This is a discussion on Bizarre 4am ping spikes (1000ms or more), every day! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hallo, Synopsis: Get 1000+ms ping for long periods of times at regular intervals, is not related to line quality or ...

tetigi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Battersea
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Bizarre 4am ping spikes (1000ms or more), every day!

Hallo,

Synopsis: Get 1000+ms ping for long periods of times at regular intervals, is not related to line quality or router. WHY?

I've recently been running a ping test on our connection, sampling regularly (every 10 seconds or so) for extended periods of time. Whilst our connection is generally very stable (giving around 30ms ping, or at the very worst sub-100ms), more or less every day at 4am, for approximately an hour and a half we have HUGE spikes, in the range of well over 1000ms, sometimes 2000ms. Of course, this renders the internet entirely unuseable.

This occurs during normal hours as well, infrequently, but nonetheless 15/30 minute discrete chunks of unuseable internet at random points throughout the day is very frustrating.

Attached are some samples of when these spikes happen.

One 4am doozy (imgur: the simple image sharer)
      Another (imgur: the simple image sharer)
      A normal 12 hour period (imgur: the simple image sharer)

Anyone have any ideas why these occur? I live around the London, Battersea area.

Note:
      I have been in contact with Sky customer service prior to this, and we have clarified with them that there is not a problem with line noise, and we have recently (within the past month) received a brand new router from them to fix our disconnection issues. These issues were present beforehand, and are still present now!

Many thanks,

Luke

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Bizarre 4am ping spikes (1000ms or more), every day!

Run a noise margin comparison over the same period and see if that if also spiking. Routerstats Lite is very good. RouterStats -Lite

At first sight I think you may be suffering from REIN. ::. Kitz - REIN .::

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

tetigi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Battersea
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Bizarre 4am ping spikes (1000ms or more), every day!

Hi TomD,

Thanks for your quick reply! I'll run that tonight and see what I get, and then post here with an update.

With regards to the REIN, it is quite bizarre - we personally don't have any devices that operate over that particular period, but we do live in a large block of flats so there could be any number of potential candidates.

One particular thing to note is that in the 'sessions' we typically also get 100% packet loss, which you can see by the red lines in the pictures I linked above.