Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Why are Sky blocking these sites? Can someone else please see if they can access them.

This is a discussion on Why are Sky blocking these sites? Can someone else please see if they can access them. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by DIRTY HARRY Tried that a few times but no joy :-( With Sky the IP Addresses have ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,904 Posts

Re: Why are Sky blocking these sites? Can someone else please see if they can access them.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTY HARRY View Post
      Tried that a few times but no joy :-(
      With Sky the IP Addresses have become "sticky". This means that simply switching off the router and powering it on again will often do nothing.

It has been found that the servers need a 'refresh' signal once an hour. With this in mind could I suggest that you power off your router for at least one hour.

Just in case, don't do this too often. The DLM software is constantly monitoring your line. Frequently power cycling the router gets misinterpreted as a line fault. This causes the connection speed to drop. After a couple of weeks it should return to 'normal' though.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Why are Sky blocking these sites? Can someone else please see if they can access them.

My IP changed overnight to the 90 range.
      I can now access both of those site's so it must be an IP related issue.
      Last edited by dholdi; 06-04-13 at 02:38 PM.
      Scubbie likes this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dholdi For This Useful Post:

gymno (06-04-13)

DIRTY HARRY is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCCAF
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

will give it a try

gymno is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: n' mart
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited + Talk
      Sky TV: Sky+HD DRX890
      Thanks

Another member posted about these 2 sites the other day:
      Accessing sites

I still can't get on them & also still have an ip address starting 5.70.
      Defo looks like an ip issue.

Thanks

As it looks like an IP issue, it is possible that the sites are blocking you.

Is someone able to contact the site administrators to get this looked into?

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

a_c_harris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01443
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Same for me, those sites dont load for me either. Ive tried the IP re-fresh thing and I still get the IP of 5.71.XX.XXX. Also I have noticed that on this IP range, sometimes I get the images load in on ebay OK, but other times I dont get the images load in at all.

It is the same on forums, pages load but images dont. I dont get this issue on my friends BT internet when I connected my laptop to his router to test or if I tether my mobile internet as a hot-spot with my laptop, only with sky.

I have found the last few weeks with these new IP's the service with sky have been quite poor and I am for the first time in about 5 - 6 years of being with sky broadband of actually leaving as they dont want to put my speed up, just saying that my 7008 kbps is alright as they are providing me with the minimum suggested for my line, even though I tell them that I am able to hit a sync of 76xx kbps for 2 years + without any issues, they run DLM and say it will up the speed but it never does.

I have become really disappointed with sky the last few months.

Thanks

I appreciate that this is annoying a_c_harris, but this isn't Sky's direct fault.

I use a program to look up IP Addresses quite frequently. It refers to the 'WhoIs' directory. It has been more up to date than these websites. I use the program to check where people are posting from, from time to time. It is also useful when new IP Addresses start appearing from members.

If they are using old information, then that is not Sky's fault.

There is a huge shortage of IPv4 addresses on the Internet now. The whole of the UK has not yet transitioned to IPv6. Whilst Sky is a major ISP in this country, they are only doing the same as the other major ISPs.

gymno is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: n' mart
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited + Talk
      Sky TV: Sky+HD DRX890
      Thanks

My ip address starting 5.70 coincided with with the connection switching from mer to pppoa.
      I actually have a (very) slightly better connection now.

When i was on mer, a reboot never gave me a new ip addres but a physical disconnection (i've had a few engineers work on on my line) would & it'd be random.

Now i'm on pppoa, i get a new one every time i reboot but it'll always start with 5.70.

@a_c_harris
      This 5.70 range is relatively new for sky customers.
      Not being able to access those 2 sites is bound to be an issue with the sites themselves.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      As it looks like an IP issue, it is possible that the sites are blocking you.

Is someone able to contact the site administrators to get this looked into?
      If the range was previously unused it could be someone running outdated BOGON filters. (See Bogon filtering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Could also Be Bad routing somewhere, In which case report it to Sky and the Site admins at the other end, be an interesting test of Skys support

If it's a routing issue they may or may not be able to fix it quickly depending on if the issue is in their network or in someone elses network but it will be interesting to see if Sky support know how to test for this and get it escalated to the net-ops team.

If it's in someone elses network it makes it difficult particularly if it's in a network that's not a direct Peering/Transit partner as Sky will most likely not have any contracts with the other provider and all they can really do is tell them and hope they do something.

Thanks

Nicely identified!

An interesting quote from that page you've linked to on Wikipedia:

As of November 2011[update], the IETF recommends that bogon filters for previously unused IPv4 /8 netblocks should be removed, as all have been assigned.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast