Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Internet Dropouts

This is a discussion on Internet Dropouts within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, I have this bizarre issue with either Sky or my internet card, and I'm not quite sure which ...

HighFlyerPL185 is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Internet Dropouts

Hi there,

I have this bizarre issue with either Sky or my internet card, and I'm not quite sure which is at fault. I was hoping maybe someone could help me

I became a Sky customer in December 2010. I always had issues along the way with it, and it seems I'm not the only Sky customer that had issues. Ohh well, I coped through until now, where it is just driving me insane, and I can't find any fix to it. Previously, you could find a fix to every case, call up the customer service line, ask on forums... Once the connection was slow, and could not throttle up, the other times VoIP would not work, it's just technology, but this time it's sadly beyond words, and I don't think they'd be able to help on the phone line.

So, here's how it goes. I bought a new computer last summer. I use Windows 7 64-bit system, and I have the D-Link Sky Router, with the channel set to Auto Scan. I tried changing channels manually but I noticed no difference whatsoever. Sky is connected via the master socket, and has been ever since I got it. Only quite recently, I noticed freezes, but quite bizarrely on some occassions it freezed just after or during the internet dropout. However, I'm not sure how far it goes as to drivers. I have an internet card - a TP-Link WN781ND, but on Gigabyte's website, which I have my motherboard from, it has "Atheros LAN Driver". Yesterday, I was led to believe that the TP-Link is inactive, because the motherboard uses it's own drivers. I uninstalled them, and installed the TP-Link drivers. The issue was that in Device Manager it showed as a TP-Link, yet when I went onto it, the device installed shown was an "Atheros AR9285". I left it as it was, and installed some modded drivers. I've set it some values, hoping for an improvement but none occured.

Now, you're probably wondering why I posted it in Sky Broadband help forum. I was also lead to believe it could have been Sky itself. It's been dropping out lately, changing IP addresses more than ever. Before, I had to wait 24 hours for an IP change with the router disabled, and now it just switches the IP whenever it wants to. Once I get the 2 range, the 90 range, the other times a 151 range, and it keeps jumping round and round.

The other issue I was considering is the strength of the card itself, maybe I just bought a really weak card? The internet has to get across the house and upstairs to reach my computer. The thing is, that the card is obviously on the back of the PC, and the antenna from the card hits a metal framework of the desk, which sadly can't be unmounted. But I didn't have trouble with it since I connected to Sky. The signal on the PC shows as one bar, sometimes two, and with the modded drivers on lucky occassions I can get a three. But that's tops.

The speeds are fine too. Latest reading from Speedtest showed Ping 70ms, Download 5.91mbps and upload of 0.67mbps.

It's very frustrating and it's dropping out every 5 minutes, and I can't really understand what is happening and how it can be fixed. Any pointers or advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box

Re: Internet Dropouts

When the internet connection drops out does the internet LED on your Sky router go out or change to amber? If not then I would either move your computer or use a long network cable to check whether a direct connection between your PC and the router gives a stable internet connection.