Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Should I Stay with Plusnet or Move to Sky Broadband?

This is a discussion on Should I Stay with Plusnet or Move to Sky Broadband? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm already spending 34 pounds a month on Sky TV and 13.50p on Plusnet's Plus service (get a 50p discount ...

DeeLondon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Should I Stay with Plusnet or Move to Sky Broadband?

I'm already spending 34 pounds a month on Sky TV and 13.50p on Plusnet's Plus service (get a 50p discount for every person I recommended to plusnet)

So question is do I stay with Plusnet or Move to Sky?

I'm unbundled on an LLU with plusnet get 8 mb/s which is fast enough for me but the annoying thing is Plusnet's annoying 4gb a month bandwidth limit that applies from 4pm to midnight.

Sticking to just 4gb a month during those times is getting to be impossible my emails and webbowsing are 2gb a month during those times alone.

The 10 pound a month offer for sky seems ideal, assuming it's realiable.. and I don't fancy long waits on the telephone to speak to some random person who may or may not know what ADSL even is.

For a start am I likely to get a good download speed with these line stats?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8157 kbps 639 kbps
      Line Attenuation 22 db 4.5 db
      Noise Margin 14 db 12 db

I'm quite happy with plusnet's service and it's self managing portal - just the 4GB peak time is a pain, Eclispe is similar styled package but they have a 20gb peak time limit

Do Sky slow down at peak times? I know my neighbour with Orange slows down after 4pm, although he totally has lost his ADSL since Monday.

2. Advertisement
      dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      If the transfer goes smoothly it would be worth the move.

If it turns into a nightmare you will wish you stayed.

No one can really advise you - but if you do go for it assume the worse then you will not be disappointed. If the internet is essential to you, i would leave it a couple of months to allow sky to get the backlog tidyed up a bit.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      You have an excellent line so you're unlikely to get problems and should expect close to 16meg.

If 8meg is fast enough then why not consider their mid product which gives you a 40gb limit I believe for 5/month.

Only you can decide whether to move. 8.50 a month saving and 10 times the usage allowance versus moving from a connection you're happy with to one which may not be as reliable. Sky is a new service and some people have had big problems. Then again I'm sure Plusnet has its problems too.

fgraham is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: PAISLEY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Nightmare Move

I was on plusnet - had been a loyal customer for 5+ years, with referal discounts, and since the FREE move to their higher speeds I had nothing but problems which they could not resolve. So in July/August decided to move to sky. This was after 3 months of tickets to resolve disconnect problems etc they said was down to their carrier (turns out this was tiscali).

I cancelled my plusnet account, asked for MAC code and cease of LLU. Mid august my plusnet account ceased working so no net access. To cut a long story short it took until start of october, numerous tickets and escalations, complaint raised with OFCOM and ISP association before my LLU tag was finally cleared. BT Wholesale could not clear the tag as only Tiscali could do that and plusnet kept having problems with tiscali. Had the cease "freeze" 3 times. Was "somehow" cancelled twice. Only once OFCOM letter and letter from ISP Association went to Plusnet did one of their directors get involved and cease finally went through.

Sadly i'm still without broadband as although installation is now complete i am having problems at local exchange (see other posts).

Nightmare time moving in my own experience and i don't think i was only one to have such a problem leaving plusnet - due to theyre use of Tiscali. So be warned.

Frazer.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It's stories like yours that scare me from leaving Plusnet.

I actually have something like 50 GB of bandwidth per month but the peak time is limited to 4gb.

Until last week I was struggling to get 1 mb/s to work on my ADSL line.

until I finally discovered a white box in our porch that was sucking the life out of the line, after having that removed and the Bt line connected direct to the master socket the speed of the line increased from an unstable 1mb/s to a solid 8mb/s line - has ADSL for 4 years with loads of hassle until I discover the white box .. if you're is playing up and you're reading this look for a box with resistors in them.

I have heard one way to get around losing the internetf or long period is to sign up to Zen internet for a month or two as they accept LLU migrations with little down time and they bring you back to the BT system and there's only a 1 month contract with them.
      Last edited by DeeLondon; 18-10-06 at 05:43 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I was think - maybe I could move to AOL who at the moment if you bring a compatiable modem will sign you up with no fixed contract and give you a month's free internet.

That I assume takes you off the local loop and back with BT and from there can move to Sky Broadband in a month's time without any down time or minimum amount of down time?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Damn.. just got off the phone with AOL and the woman said cos I was with an LLU I'd need to totally disconnect my ADSL and go without for 7 to 14 days on average before making the switch to AOL Broadband, they did however say they'd provide free dial up access to cover you during the migration process... which is probabaly the best I'd expect any ISP to offer.

Who is it that set up the whole MAC Code system it's not working for those of us put on LLU's without even really knowing what was being done in the first place. It's amazing how easy it is to be put on an LLU and how damn hard it is to leave.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Should I Stay with Plusnet or Move to Sky Broadband?

Hi,
      Well this is what some 6 months later .. have things changed at all?

I'm just on the Sky website cos I got my MAC Code from PlusNet but it seems because I'm on an LLU perhaps it's stopped me dead in my tracks?

Got to the final screenand it says

Unfortunately, we are currently unable to continue with your order online. New customers please phone 08705 800 874, and customers already with Sky please phone 08702 405 052 for Sky Broadband, 08706 072 759 for TV equipment upgrades or 08702 404 020 for TV package upgrades.

Any ideas if that's what the problem is the fact my plusnet connection on the Harrow Telephone exchange is on an LLU

Also weird thing when I got to the final screen the telephone number it displayed was like 3 years old and it wouldn't let me change it- the one for my ADSL was correct though.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I like you was with Plusnet BB for about five years and 3 years before that on dial-up. During that time I had no complaints and was well pleased with the service. I think their customer support, espacially through the COMMs team on the forums is the best anywhere. I left purely for financial reasons and don't regret it (yet ) If you visit their forum you will know that there are lots of complaints, many from those who were LLUd to Tiscali. Plusnet have now stopped transferring users to Tiscali due to the large amount of problems they generate and I think Tiscali now go out of their way to obstruct Plusnet in any way they can. Although they say that MACs can work with LLU, I don't think it works too well and really what happens is that the line is just ceased and re-provisioned. This means that it takes a bit longer than a straight migration and can run into problems, as other users of this forum will confirm. I don't think this is Sky's fault, rather the system is just not up to transferring from LLU yet. It is really up to you, it may be worth putting up with dial-up for a few weeks, if you are going to get a near unlimited 16Mb connection.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well I got my MAC Code from Plusnet on Saturday night - tried Sunday to sign up to sky but didn't work so rung them and spoke to a nice chap at Sky and gave him the MAC Code and seemed to be accepted at his end.

He didn't think there would be any real down time.

We'll have to wait and see, I've gone for the 10 per month MAX Package which is only 3.50 less then I was paying Plusnet but Plusnet's on peak and off peak scheme was beginning to become annoying. With bandwidth limited to just 4GB per month during the hours of 4pm to midnight, even on weekends.

We'll have to see how things go with Sky I could always sign up to Virgin Cable for 10 a month before the end of the month if it starts looking like things will go pear shaped with Sky ..