Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow internet at the inlaws

This is a discussion on Slow internet at the inlaws within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, So i'm at the inlaws for eater and I've been asked to have a look at why the internet ...

gillepy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Arrow Slow internet at the inlaws

Hello,

So i'm at the inlaws for eater and I've been asked to have a look at why the internet is slow. Upon doing a couple of speedtests I can confirm that the speed is indeed much lower that i would of expected.

The stats from the router are

ROUTER STATISTICS

System Up Time: 212:32:21
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 395344 442736 0 129126763 461611231 25:17:18
      LAN Up 437584 372865 0 240249346 70173498 212:32:21
      WLAN Up 604741 540990 0 576796013 165697869 212:32:04
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 486 kbps 392 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5 dB 39.7 dB
      Noise Margin 15.1 dB 10.5 dB

Putting the attenuation figure into kits.com i get:

Downstream
      Attenuation
      dB Approx
      Line Length
      km
      dslMAX (20CN) kbps IP Profile kbps
      BT 21CN WBC
      & adsl2+
      kbps IP Profile kbps
      adsl2+ (LLU) kbps Throughput kbps

Can any one help?

2. Advertisement
      gillepy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Slow internet at the inlaws

hmm looks like a copy and paste went wrong there,

using the tool SkyUser - Potential ADSL2 Line Speed Checker & Calculator

ADSL2+ Speed Test

We estimate your line is capable of between 2mb to 3mb broadband on an ADSL2+ service.

This suggests to me there is a problem with the line. Does anyone agree?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

First impression is that the line is very long. If all is well, then it will not support anything better.

I would first take a look at where the router is connected. Check that it is in the Master Socket and then see if you can get the stats from the Test Socket too:

Sky User - How to test your Master Socket

If the Master Socket is not an NTE5 socket, do they have many extensions? If the Master Socket is an NTE5 socket, then plug the router into the Test Socket behind the faceplate.

Next take a look at the wiring between the master socket and where the telephone line leaves the property. Look to see if there are any BTO Junction box/es. If there are, then there may be a wiring issue inside it which could be repaired by replacing the wiring or junction box.

Coming back to the connection of the router to the telephone socket, double check that the microfilter is the first item plugged in and that there are no extensions which are being used that are unfiltered. A common issue is the Sky STB. The splitter has a warning stating that it should never be removed. It should actually be plugged into the 'phone' port on a microfilter.

If all seems well, then it is time to perform a 'quiet line test'. The simplest way to do this is, using a corded phone, to dial '1' and listen for any noise on the line. The corded phone should be plugged into the Test Socket if available.

Ideally the line should be totally silent, however with a long line I would expect a small amount of background hiss. If there is any loud noise or clicking then they should call their line provider (who ever they pay the line rental to).

If you have made any improvements, then they should give Sky a call and get them to rerun the initial DLM training process. This will take a few days to complete. Hopefully it will improve the connection speed.

I have run through the various steps in one post as you may only be there for today. If you would appreciate more detailed help, please feel welcome to ask. For example, you may wish to post a photo of the socket or a junction box if there is a question about that.

I have specifically suggested using the Test Socket where possible as between that point and the telephone exchange the line provider is responsible for any work. Any extensions after the test socket are their responsibility.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Thanks

The noise margin is very high. This could suggest the line is subject to quite a lot of noise at times, so the margin has been set higher. Follow Scubbie's comprehensive tests. If any of your improvements can reduce the noise, then the margin should fall. 6db is about the norm and should boost the speed of the connection

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Thanks mattan.

Just to clarify though, ideally at the early stage you are looking to reduce the Line Attenuation and raise the Noise Margin. The connection speed may increase a little, but will be capped because of the line history (essentially a poor line cannot support the full 24mb and to try and do so will hamper any attempt to connect to the Internet).

It is only once the DLM process starts working that the Noise Margin will drive and the connection speed increase.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms