Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

new billion 7800n user, snr tweaks having no effect, have sky capped my line?

This is a discussion on new billion 7800n user, snr tweaks having no effect, have sky capped my line? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi took the plunge and bought myself a 7800n to replace the temperamental linksys wag320n i was using. i was ...

ThEgOg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

new billion 7800n user, snr tweaks having no effect, have sky capped my line?

hi

took the plunge and bought myself a 7800n to replace the temperamental linksys wag320n i was using.

i was getting around 2500 down and 750 up using the linksys, on first power up the 7800n immediately got my 3075 down and 750 ish up.

so i figured i'd attempt to tweak the snr following info i've found online. problem is there doesn't seem to be any effect whether i adjust the snr by 1.5 or 3, i still get a solid connection but it syncs straight back to 3065-3075ish.

this is whats getting me thinking that maybe sky or the dlm process has capped my line to the 3075 figure?

is it worth me ringing sky to get them to run the dlm again or ask them to move the cap up, if they'll do that?

any other advice? i'm not expecting miracles but i'd like to get every last bit i can as 3meg isn't a lot these days :-/

Operational Mode ADSL2+
      Upstream 798
      Downstream 3072
      SNR Margin(Upstream) 7.1
      SNR Margin(Downstream) 6.4
      Line Attenuation(Upstream) 38.0
      Line Attenuation(Downstream) 61.5

many thanks for your time.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: new billion 7800n user, snr tweaks having no effect, have sky capped my line?

In this instance the first I would do would be to ensure that you have set up your router with the Master Telephone socket (sorry, but not everyone does) and ensure that things are set up optimally there. Also use the short ADSL cable, not an extended one.

Don't do any line tweaking by adjusting the Noise Margin yourself at this stage.

Then I would call Sky and explain that you have made significant improvements to your connection and ask for the DLM process to be triggered to re-profile your connection.

The improvements to the DLM software since last year IMHO have reduced the benefits of manually adjusting the Noise Margin by forcing it to go lower on the router. The chances are that you will actually introduce errors. This would cause the DLM software to kick in and slow things down.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

ThEgOg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: new billion 7800n user, snr tweaks having no effect, have sky capped my line?

yup i'm already using the master phone point even though it is in the master bedroom:-/

also using an adsl24 plate and cable etc.

i'll give them a ring tomorrow then, many thanks for the advice

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

What you may like to try is setting your router to G.DMT instead of ADSL2+. This may get you a slightly better speed with stability.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.