Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Require Network Configuration Help - SR101, Time Capsule, Airport Express, Synology 413..

This is a discussion on Require Network Configuration Help - SR101, Time Capsule, Airport Express, Synology 413.. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi There, I have my activation date today (26th March) to Sky Broadband Unlimited. I have my SR101 Router setup ...

dom6918 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Require Network Configuration Help - SR101, Time Capsule, Airport Express, Synology 413..

Hi There,

I have my activation date today (26th March) to Sky Broadband Unlimited.
      I have my SR101 Router setup and ready (although I the change-over has not happened yet).

I have a fairly complex network design at home that has been working nicely for me for a while, it involves:

Virgin ADSL Router (Netgear) in modem only mode, connected to an Apple Time Capsule which is my main router. The TC is extended using my Apple Airport Express to provide full Wifi coverage at home. The TC/AE are connected to a range of different devices, including 2 B&W Airplay speakers, PS3, XBOX, SKY HD and a range of mobile/Laptop devices. Most importantly the TC is connected via Ethernet poweline to a Synology NAS 413 that is accessible to the outside world.

The simple change i would like to make is replacing my current Virgin ADSL router with my new Sky router. Learning today that i cannot enable a modem only mode on the Sky router - i would like to know what is the best way to incourporate the new router without changing the way i use my different devices.

The main impact point here is the Synology. To be accessible outside of my LAN it must be connected to the first router in the chain - if i duplicate routers and put the Synology onto the Sky router, i would not be able to stream content to devices connected to my TC without changing networks on different devices (not ideal).

I could remove the TC completely and simply extend the Sky router with the AE - this is not ideal however as my TC is a more powerful Wireless router 300 mbps vs 144 (sky).

Would appreciate your help in getting this network debacle sorted. Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Require Network Configuration Help - SR101, Time Capsule, Airport Express, Synology 413..

The process is quite simple to achieve with the Sky Hub.

Simply disable it's WiFi, provide the WAN port of the TC with a fixed IP Address (you can reserve it on the the Sky Hub's LAN Settings if you like), and set the DMZ Address to the WAN Port address.

Quite a few members have an arrangement similar to this already.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Require Network Configuration Help - SR101, Time Capsule, Airport Express, Synology 413..

Wow! You guys are quick here! thank you, will give it a go once its all activated.

I assume my Virgin Media modem will die before my Sky is activated? i did try connecting this morning but got an orange light and no connection.

Thanks

Since you are on VM via an ADSL connection, I would assume that the BTO Engineer is required to disconnect you from VM.

This being the case you should have a down time of something like 10 minutes whilst the swap from VM to Sky occurs.

P.S. Sorry I took my time. Had been busy putting some washing out to dry.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The process is quite simple to achieve with the Sky Hub.

Simply disable it's WiFi, provide the WAN port of the TC with a fixed IP Address (you can reserve it on the the Sky Hub's LAN Settings if you like), and set the DMZ Address to the WAN Port address.

Quite a few members have an arrangement similar to this already.

So to be clear - i need the Fixed WAN address of the TC
      Put the Fixed WAN address into the DMZ of the Sky Hub..and done?

Thanks

Yep.

For a more comprehensive set of instructions see Tom's thread:

Using the DLink DIR613.

If you look at the guide linked below for the Sky Hub SR101, you should be able to provide a fixed address for the WAN port quite easily:

IP Address Reservation

...and for the Wireless settings (i.e. disable the Sky Hub's):

Changing the Wireless settings

Exchange:
      Thanks

Amazing! I love this site already! Thanks Scubbie.

If only you could get BTO to install an infinity cabinent in my area - apparently cabinet 49 (GU1) has failed council planning permission twice!

Thanks

No problem.

It might be useful for you to find out why the cabinet failed the planning permission. Guildford has had FTTC for a while now.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      No problem.

It might be useful for you to find out why the cabinet failed the planning permission. Guildford has had FTTC for a while now.

Dear Mr Fernando

Thank you for your interest in our Fibre Broadband project. We are rolling out one of the fastest and largest commercial deployments in the world. Our commercial deployment will have extended to 66% of the UK by the end of December 2014. We aim extend this to 90% of the UK, in partnership with other sources of funding, e.g. local and National government.

Information about the project can be found on the webpage below:-
      Openreach - Superfast fibre broadband - Where and when

The rollout is based on the commercial criteria for each cabinet. Initially cabinet number thgi49 to which your line is connected was included. Unfortunately difficulties over the cabinet site (2 options rejected by local authority and the third a problem due to high voltages in the vicinity) have led to this being deferred out of the programme due to their being no further options. As a result of this there is no date for this cabinet.

Thanks

Ouch.

I guess that you won't be getting it for some considerable time then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast