Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky broadband Connect

This is a discussion on Sky broadband Connect within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am moving home to an area without any LLU or Virginmedia. I currently have Sky fibre unlimited pro, TV ...

ukhardy07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky broadband Connect

I am moving home to an area without any LLU or Virginmedia.
      I currently have Sky fibre unlimited pro, TV and line rental with sky.

I am moving to an area where only sky connect is available.

We use around 300gb a month and I am in contract with Sky so they're the only real option.

My mac has been on for 45 days and has received 150 gb data apparently & 35gb uploaded.
      There's a few others using the connection.

I understand there's a 40gb limit. Sky have been so vague with me about this. They told me it's unlimited but 40gb is a limit they recommend?

All I am bothered about is that if I use 300gb a month will they start charging me extra. They couldn't really answer this when I asked.

Also what's the throttling like, is it on everything even youtube?

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky broadband Connect

Do you know if Fibre is available or will be available shortly at your new exchange? I ask this because there have been instances where Sky have provided a Fibre broadband service for their customers connected to exchanges without LLU. As for your other questions could I draw your attention to: Sky Terms and Conditions - Broadband
      If you go over your Usage Cap more than once in any six month period, then we will:
      1. automatically upgrade you to a Product with a higher Usage Cap. Once you have been upgraded, you may downgrade without charge to your original Product if you reduce your monthly usage to below the Usage Cap for your original Product in any subsequent month; or
      2. charge you fair and reasonable costs for your usage (and any reasonable administration costs) in excess of your Usage Cap.

If we do either of these things, we will let you know by email and by post. In this notice we will also explain the consequences of you going over your Usage Cap, for example, the increased subscription or other charges you incur.
      Although Sky reserves the right to apply sanction (b) I have yet to hear of an instance where this has happened. It is possible that additional traffic management could be used as a sanction and there is provision for this it the Traffic Management Policy:
      We continuously monitor and efficiently manage the performance of Sky Broadband Connect to ensure that we provide a sustainable quality broadband service to our customers. When our network is busy we give priority to applications such as browsing, email, streaming, instant messaging, gaming and VOIP.

This means that certain applications which use up a lot of bandwidth (for example peer-to-peer file-sharing, large file downloads and newsgroups), which have a negative effect on other customers, may run slower at peak times. Our network is busiest between 4pm and 11pm on weekdays and all day at the weekend, but can be busy at other times too, depending on regional, national and international demand.

In addition, we monitor customers who use the most bandwidth and whose usage is having a negative effect on other customers. Customers who breach the Usage Cap or who regularly download large amounts at peak times will have restrictions placed on their accounts to reduce their download speeds at peak times. Only a small number of customers will be affected by this, typically fewer than 5%. We remove these restrictions when our network is not busy.
      The final sanction for persistent offenders would be to terminate their contract but given your situation that could be in your best interest.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Sky Broadband Connect is not a good package compared to virtually all other ADSL packages. Don't touch it.

As you are moving to an area where you cannot get an unlimited package you may be able to politely get out of the current contract without any penalties.

As seawright has mentioned, check to see if Fibre is available. You can now get Sky Fibre in areas where Sky's LLU kit isn't available. If it is available, use the checker on sky sight to see if SFU is available as it can take weeks or months for Sky's Fibre products to become available.

As for alternative ISPs, often we suggest Plusnet. However they are the only firm who charge extra when you are on a Market 1 exchange. There may be better packages available for you.

Unfortunately I believe that all BTW products are subjected to throttling in the evening and at the weekends. If you have no LLU provider, then all the packages sold will be based on a BTW product.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm only there for around 3 months then I'm moving away. I'll keep the internet there for the remainder for when I pop back. It'll only be hammered for 3 months. I'm going to take all of this on board.

My questions weren't fully answered though.

If I go over 40gb what actually happens? Not the T&C but what has actually happened to people or do they in reality turn a blind eye?

Fibre isn't available any time soon - the exchange only serves around 200 properties so absolutely no LLU either.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

If you go over your allowance Sky reduces the throughput speed to something below 500kbps.

It would be better if they did charge for going over as many have complained about the slow speeds when they didn't realise what was happening.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

From what I have seen reported you are very unlikely to go over your allowance. The reason? You will be throttled so heavily that you will hardly be able to download anything. As soon as you go over 1.3Gb in one day you will come under the hammer. As for uploading 35Gb, forget that. With a maximum upload speed of 448kbps it would take you most of the month to do that alone. Don't forget that uploading is included in your usage, not just downloading. What should you do? I don't know, none of the re-badged BT ADSLMax offerings are any good for a heavy user, but Connect would be right at the bottom of my list.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Right I'll get BT probably. Truly unlimited nowadays and 16 a month. Not too bad I guess. Seems a far better offering than the sky service. The smaller providers are not unlimited so that's a no go again.

Cheers guys